Sunday 27 January 2008

Finishing touches to Mumbai

I have left my log at my digs, so here is what I remember of the last 2 days. In any order. I'll go on with the most surprising scam, but I set myself up in a way, it did not pay off. I watched a bit more cricket at the Oval Maidan after having watched loads of games being played anywhere, two in a listed building grounds, the lads started to pose when they saw me taking a photo, one in the middle of a main road, taxis and 4x4's were dodging around the stumps which were on the white lines, an unfair advantage to the batsman I thought, mind you the fielders were helped when a 4x4 bumper saved a certain 4. Getting back to the Oval, I was watching under a tree and thought something flew onto my ear, scared tourist, but I think it was a leaf, anyway by coincidence, I was walking back to my hotel and some bloke says "You have something in your ear", from the cricket I thought, so rubbed my ear, " No " so I stuck my finger in my ear, "No, come here" He walked to my side then pulls my earlobe down, then shows me what looked like dental tool with earwax on it. He was only trying to have me let him clean my ears out. Original, but annoying. I buggered off as fast as my long legs would carry me.

I took a trip upto Victoria Terminal, VT, one of Mumbais train stations to get my bearings for the trip south tomorrow. I need to be prepared and it was a good move. I got the "Trains at a Glance" book which covers the whole of India's network and major trains, my best buy so far. The local train platforms are frightening. It was like trying to make your way into a football ground when the final whistle has gone. I found my likely platform, so plonked myself on a seat and worked out how Trains at a Glance works, 2 days I was there, well 20 minutes actually, but it was a nice spot to sit, in the station, no hassle. I wandered through the streets from VT back to the hotel. All around VT there are some smashing building down the back streets, like New Orleans, Colonial and Spanish, all sorts, I never got hassled once, until I hit Colaba Causeway, guess where I am staying, it begins with C?
VT itself is a magnificent building, as good as Amsterdam Central, perhaps better. The traffic around it is wild and when I was playing chicken, trying to cross the road, a cart towed by an ox trundles by amid all the taxis, buses and any form of 4 wheeled transport you can name. You would not see that in London. I saw my first sacred cows in the backstreets around VT too. Even they have more sense than to go to Colaba.

I stopped outside the courthouse, just in case I had to visit again. This is where the hassle starts, it is at the top of Colaba. HOWEVER, shock horror, a bloke came and sat beside me, "I'm not after anything" Not a good start, but he wasn't. He offered to give me some money, no joke, well not really. All I had to do was take some of his cash, perhaps $1,000 and change it to travellers cheques at the bank then use them to buy something ficticious at his shop. The Indians pay tax on foreign currency if it is declared. I was offered a generous 10%. What do you think my chances of getting caught were??? Me too, so I declined his generous offer. I did hesitate for a split, split second, so perhaps I should not pour scorn on the Mumbaikans for asking for money all the time, except the earwax bloke.

I had some good chats with people in my Mumbai time, most of them are old fellows, who just want a natter. No siblings, the old 'uns don't identify with me.
There were some great old lads. Waiting for the bus to VT a group of young blokes approached me. "My mates wanted me to talk to you. Is that OK?" Everyone who wants to talk are always very polite. These lads just wanted to talk to someone from far away. The kids are good too. They have always given me advice on which bus to catch. Like "Get lost old fogey". Not true, the young 'un's have put me on the right bus 100% so far.
I think after 4 days, I am getting the hang of the Mumbai mentality, but I don't want to stay. It is somewhere you should visit, but in my case, once is enough. It is like Havana, a rundown, beautiful place, but lots of hassle in a lot of areas. I am glad I came. If it had been possible with a local, it would have been even better.
The eating is great too. I dropped into a back street cafe by VT and had a couple of samosas, they don't just come as samosa, there is gravy and bits with them and of course I had the lassi. I am sold on that.

And one final recollection. I was not only offered money, I was given a sweet. I found a quiet spot in Chowpatty seaface, a small park where older people do laps and sit on benches and chew the fat. I snook passed the bouncer and sat at a bench and table doing my log and a group of elderly couples wandered passed, an old lad gave me a sweet and a greeting. It made me smile, until I found it was drugged. No, I lie, it was a sweet and a lovely gesture that made my night and brought yet another smile to my face. Thank you kind sir.

AND HERE ENDETH MUMBAI.......................... well almost.

P.S. some bits I missed.
I saw the bravest cat I have ever seen there. It was chasing the only rat I saw and the rat was almost as big as the cat.

The young 'uns in Mumbai love to talk to you and are very helpful, as are people in the local restaurant/cafes I ate in.

I met a Norwegian lad travelling with 8Kg, that is the way to travel, but he was only her for a fortnight.

BIGGEST TIP.
The best way to get around Mumbai is by bus. An old fellow put me onto it. They run often and you get about 10 bus rides for one taxi trip and the bus conductor doesn't haggle for the price or ask for more when you get off.

HERE DEFINITELY ENDETH MUMBAI.

2 comments:

Val said...

Checked hotel out on net. Thought you were going cheap!! No wonder I got a bus ticket. Keep wiggling and keep away from courthouses etc. Love ya Val

mand said...

yo big bro hows it hanging! mumbai looks great not what i expected. the buildings are brill. i checked my e-mails then thought i would try to make this comment. you will be very suprised to know i am going solo doing this so if you get it it will be a miracle because your little sister will have gone techno at long last!! it sounds as though you are having a good time and i am very envious of you. keep chilling and enjoy the power cuts they will take you back to your chilhood! your diary is great to read "no its not too long". as long as your not typing with one finger and its taking you all day making you miss out on all the exciting things to do. carols wrong you look gorgeous looking through your binocks, thats where your going wrong if you got them out and used them a bit more the indian ladies wouldn't be able to resist you!! enjoy whatever comes next and when your sat on the next balcony watching the sun go down mines a bacardi and coke! love ya take care. mandy mags.xx