Thursday 28 February 2008

Wandering in a different direction around Kolkata.

18/1 - Slept like a log until the 5 a.m. call to prayers. I decided not to go and nodded off again until the 6 a.m. bells for church. When my Dad said he was going to church he used to get a beer too, but I still wasn't tempted, but I'm awake, so had a read and pondered the day ahead. I don't know why, I never do what I ponder. Tried to coax the hot water out, but it wasn't even coming out of the tap now. It gets cold in the night in Kolkata and the water gets colder, so it was a splash it all over the essential areas only and I am definitely awake now.
It looks like I blew it with the greasy spoon last night, I've a bit of Delhi belly, which is out of order since I'm in Kolkata. Whacked some immodium and Dioralyte down my neck and off for some tea and toast, except nobody else has gotten up for the prayers or church either. Everywhere is shut. Eventually found Flurry's confectionary cafe. "Tea and toast please."
"Sorry sir the tea machine is broke" I thought a tea machine was a kettle.
"Coffee please"
"Sorry sir, same machine and the fruit juice is out of cartons" They don't want me in here. I have had a wash and have a clean shirt on.
I went for the lime juice. There must be a seperate kettle for that, because it came hot.
I was going to get a taxi to the train ticket office and wander back, but it is not open for another hour, so thought I'd wander to a metro station and catch it to BBD Bagh, close by the ticket office. I plodded along, I have not a clue where, but I was getting knackered and the sun had broken through. Got to a bus stand and the first 3 buses had BBD Bagh on. RESULT. Still thought I'd better check with the conductor before jumping on. I am getting India savvy.
"Does this go to BBD Bagh?"
"This is BBD Bagh." No wonder all the buses have BBD Bagh on them. DOH!
It's a nice spec though, there are some great buildings around this area. I like Kolkata. It is a bit westernised, but it is similar to Mumbai, there is always something to stumble across, such as BBD Bagh. Whereas in Chennai you try to step around the stuff you stumble across.
BBD Bagh is still city centre and there is a pond here, a few locals have setup home with the ubiquitous plastic sheet, bamboo and brick lean-to's and they are having a wash in the pond. All around the pond there are smashing building, including the Post Office where I'm headed. The buildings overpower the plastic sheet lean-to's. It can be the other way around. The Post Office building is quite magnificent, inside and out. Our Val has asked me for a ticket to join me on her birthday wherever I am, so thought I'd better post it with her card. "Bloody hell the ticket has dropped out somewhere!!" Does that sound convincing?
Went to the stamp counter. " A postcard stamp and one for this envelope please."
The lady pointed me to the "Facilitation Counter". Whatever that is. Here the lady weighs the letter and postcard, tells me how much and points me to the "Stamp Counter" Now I know what it is.
This is a game of human ping-pong. I went to the Stamp Counter where the lady does not speak good English, so I put Rs 28 on the card and Rs 15 (8 in Goa) for the postcard on the counter. She gave me back my Rs 5 bill and said something. The bloke behind me tells me it is ripped and she wont take it. I put a Rs5 coin in its place. The ladypacked up all her things and left. She doesn't want me in here.
The bloke behind me says "Typical of the service in India." I remarked it wouldn't be India otherwise which he just smiled at.
5 minutes later another lady turns up. 2 people jump in front of me, but I am cool, I'm a Mackem. I got my own back on the first lady too, I used my Rs 5 bill this time.
Went away sticking my stamps on, but the Rs15 doesn't have any sticky. The bloke who has been guiding me along sees my quizzical look and pulls out a tube of gum from his pocket. "Gum?"
"Thank you".
I set off to follow the post box signs. WAIT, it is not over yet.
I got to the post boxes. 1 for every state in India and several for Kolkata. None for general or overseas. A guard sees me struggling and points me inside another section of the POst Office. "Number 11" Sure enough there are another bunch of boxes. Number 11 it is.
I love this stuff. It's like everything is an adventure and they differ from State to State. I suppose if I was in a rush I might not be smiling so much.
I only came out for a train ticket and I have not got to the office yet. It should be the next left. When I turned the corner the street was full of hawkers, chai, coffee, fruit, fry-ups Indian style. I got 2/3rds down and tried the next street. Mistake, it was the previous one. I knew there was another office between the streets, so thought I'd look for that. When I turned the corner, the buildings are derelict and the street filled with rubbish, there are flip-flop blowouts everywhere and I'm looking for the computerised ticket office. What chance do you reckon???? I reckon less than that. Back to the 1st street Fairlie Place, but from the other end and there the building is. The Foreign Tourist Eastern Railways ticket office. Went in the wrong door. Come on, no big deal. Besides a guard pointed me in the right direction with his sub-machine gun. Filled in my form and 2 minutes later I'm at the desk. Well impressed.
"Yes, there are plenty of seats. Passport."
"Passport?? I'm only going to Darjeeling. But no passport no ticket.
Not so impressed, but still smiling. I jumped into a taxi and he used the meter. GOBSMACKED.
We did take a detour like, but it was necessary. The one way system on Park Street was the wrong way. It changes directions at 14:00. That must be something to see.
Taxi back, Rs 10 cheaper, the one way system is the right way for the return. 15 minutes wait and I have my ticket. I thought that was enough adventures for the day. Not that I have much say in that like. Picked up a couple of bananas and tangerines/satsumas/mandarins/big orange things that peel easy and headed for a nap in Victoria Monument gardens. ZZZZzzzzzzz
The stomach seems to be settling. Had a few hours snoozing, reading and people watching in the gardens. Why not I'm on holiday. There are a lot of young couples canoodling in the park. The LP says they do more than that, but what more is there than canoodling??? Am I missing something?
I have noticed, simply in passing, that the ladies in Kolkata are broader of beam than Indian ladies in general. You ladies will be saying he means fat. Perhaps a bit of both. The saris/sarees hide a lot.
It looks like the evening wake up call has started, it is people lively instead of just traffic lively. There are families and groups of old fellas turning up at the garden for a friendly natter. It is a good place to be as the sun sets. I think I'll be heading off soon. I fancy a couple of samosas.
I don't believe it, someone is having a pee in the corner of the gardens. I would tell the police, but he is the police.
Quite a few lasses in Kolkata dress western style and very smart they look too in their nicely fitting jeans. Perhaps another western feature of Kolkata is that I have sat in the gardens for about 3 hours and only kids have approached me for the novelty factor. No adults have been over. That is a first in India.

2 comments:

mand said...

hello gilbert,
sounds as though you are back on the right track. kolkata sounds interesting with the different buildings. the indians sure like their cricket i bet its crazy watching all the different games going on at once. hello uncle gil its dan are you having a nice holiday? lkjdgnvicuiejkdnmckxcjgisemcxkgjeiotujkdjfksdjgierjgtkfcjsgdfiojgkdjfs
the last two lines were written without help from nana, i hope you can decipher them! i am teaching anam tonite so i will ask her if it is the right thing to do, holding hands with indian blokes, my advice is not to do it till i report back! it is now time to go and dig a big hole in davids garden with my grandson so on with the coats hats and gloves, no shorts her for at least another five months.
love ya. mand.x

mand said...

yo dude,
your safe anam says they are just affectionate people, so go grab a hand to hold!
love mandy mags.x