Saturday 14 June 2008

On the road and in the air to Vinh Long.



17/5 - As I couldn't get the early flight, there's no rush to get up, but I did. What to do for breakfast? No problem, I did a left out of the hotel, 50 metres down the road, 2 women sat at their mobile stall shouted me over. What the hell, I'll try it.
"Meat?"
"Yes" then noodles and anything goes. One of them started ot m other me and was throwing all sorts in my bowl and the other I had to stop filling it up. This was another good laugh and offer of marriage, after I'd managed to field some of the 20 questions. A light hearted offer I might add. I was gently coerced into some lottery tickets, as other women drifted in and out to checkout the foreigner stuck on the 1 foot high stool eating noodles with chopsticks. One of the women was 40 and the other 60, but they looked better on it than I do. I left with more smiles in my locker and back to the hotel for an e-fix. I didn't get much of one though, the receptionist came over and spotted a picture of Benjamin on my memory stick and that was the start of "This is your life Gil Brooks." Benjamin and Paige are always big hits. The taxi for the airport turned up as we were still scanning my photos. The breakfast ladies had been gossiping, because the lass knew where I'd been for breakfast. She was intrigued by my extra special shoulders and was checking them out. almost giving me a massage, she did ask about them first. The Vietnamese are lovely people on the whole. Another big smile and wave for my locker and I'm off to Danang airport. Nothing much to report here, it all went pretty well. I was booked with Vietnam airlines and the plane was China airlines, so I guess there is some kind of partnership thre. Into HCMC airport and got offered a taxi to the bus station for 200,000 dong, but I followed the LP and took a metered taxi, 230,000. 54 years old and I still don't learn.
Onto the bus and headed for Vinh Long, another big bus, the 2nd time in Vietnam. I reminded the driver I was only going to Vinh Long, not Can Tho, the end destination. We entered Vin Long and he told me so. I got ready for the bus station, we were exiting Vinh Long and I thought I'd better get off. I was supposed to tell him whre to drop me. Do I look Vietnamese, can I read your mind???? It was only a short moto trip back to a hotel in the town centre. I got offered a single room with no window, so opted for the 3 bed room. I'll move on tomorrow.
Knackered and crashed.

No comments: