Tuesday 5 February 2008

And so to the beach in Goa.



28/1 The 8.00 am check out time was a blessing in disguise. Up and off for breakfast at my adopted haunt, Yahir's. It is a right at the bottom of January 31st street and opposite Sify Iway, the internet place. Tea and Toast and off to pick up my dhobi. Packed it and off to tackle the foot bridge. It was no problem with my stick. It was more difficult to get on the bus.
Got off the bus, a stop early, but not far away. Loaded up myself and wandered about 10 yds and there was Walter wandering towards me, smiling and greeting me. He still looks spaced out and is still ultra friendly. Plodded to the Ave Maria Beach Resort, but the beach must have moved since it was built. I thought the Rs 800 was a bit much, but the lads are friendly and it is in a good spot between the road and beach. I was not too keen on coming to the beaches, but this area of Goa strikes me as relaxed and I have only been here a couple of hours and I spent those sat on my balcony going over my Enriched Air Course, so I can dump the book. A job well done and I am well chilled without even leaving the room.
Wandered off to the beach and sat in the shade of "the Beach Shack" for a brew and a honey coconut pancake. I may well be tempted to stay at the beaches in Goa a while longer than planned, but I may get fed up of the beaches after a couple of days, we'll see.
Prices, as to be expected are a little higher in a resort. Rs 20/25p for a litre of water and Rs35/50p for a bottle of beer. I wish it was that dear back home. I think I am definitely a beach bum in the making.
Hit the surf after getting my lounger and umbrella, Rs 50/60p. It is wild and warm and good fun coming in on the waves. A bit dodgy getting out, but you can't keep a good man down, no matter how many times you knock him over, only the once.
Back to the lounger and a bit of a read whilst the sun goes down. I think the late start on the beach is a good idea, it should stop me from becoming a pinkie from Blighty.
Got approached in a very casual way to buy some bits from a couple of local ladies, for a manicure and a massage too. She told me she has her nail clippers with her, so I told her so do I. They are good fun to talk to and don't really hussle. One lass told me they only come here after 17:00 as there are guards on the beach, but that is only for this area, I was about 110yds up the beach and got approached at midday yesterday.
True enough the next day a lad got chased with a stick by a guard for trying to sell strawberries. He was off like a shot, strawberries held high in one hand, very clever.
A little lass came up to flog me fruit. "Where you from?"
"You look like a Russian"
"Why do you have a big belly" and I still like her. Her approach line is "Cheaper than Asda price". It seems to be one of the catchphrases around here.
The sun is dropping into the ocean, to be doused for the night, 18:15. My first day on the beach in Goa has been a success, to my surprise. There's a smell around here and I'm sure it's me, or my T-shirt, I have worn it for 2 days now, I have become a beach bum. Time for a shower and see what the night brings.
The main drag is the road that joins all the beaches, so went there for some snap and a beer. Sat in a bar listening to a Jazz quartet. It is OK, but a bit unfriendly, people seem to be keeping themselves to themselves, or I have not found the right bars yet. I'll try the beach tomorrow night.
29/1 - Easy start to the day, tea and toast by the pool Rs75, then a wander into town for some shopping, don't get your hopes up, not pressy shopping. Walking along the road, I nearly got buried in a pile of animal shit, must have been a bloody big cow. It wasn't, walked around the corner and there stood the elephant with 5 or 6 priests in tow. "Take a picture" was their cry, probably for a sub. I have just put the camera card into the shop for transfer to CD. Good timing Gil. The camera shop I was sent to only looked like a camera shop because of the Kodak advert outside, inside it sold all sorts, but it did the job, typically for India so far. Lots of things aren't what them seem.
Down the beach in the early afternoon, pot of tea and a pineapple pancake, then hit the surf again. Life is terrible.
Showered and off to pick up the photo CD. Guess who I bumped into, no not the elephant, Walter, he was with an Irish lad, both looked like they had been getting a bar tan. He's a character in the best sense of the word. He has invited me for a beer at Big Blue on the beach later. Waddled along the beach to a restaurant, where the Jazz quartet from last night are playing. Went in and nearly took a dive, hit a slightly raised floorboard, but my highly toned muscles kept me upright. Got a negative look from a lady watching me. I think I will get a T-shirt saying "I'm not a drunk, I am a stunt man in training"
I forgot to tell you about the young lad selling bananas this afternoon on the beach. We had a bit of a barter and we settled for an amicable price, even though he told me "You've got a big belly". Kids are straight to the point, it makes me smile. He was another canny kid.
After my sizzling chicken, I wandered down the beach to Big Blue and Walter. There was a party going on for an Indian lady, she is 75. There was free food, too late and free punch, just in time. It was a good crack, mostly Brits. Ray, Walter's mate, used to be in the army, so we pulled up a couple of sandbags and swapped a couple of war stories over punch. How civilised.
I declined on the punch everytime it came around, so was able to navigate myself home OK. Left Walter with his booze, food and whacky baccy. Told you he looked spaced out.
Another good working day in Goa. See you troops.

Photos here perhaps. http://picasaweb.google.com/brooks.gilbert/CandolimGoa

5 comments:

mand said...

yo surfer dude. its alright for some strutting their stuff in their swimwear and riding the waves without a care in the world! some of us have to go to work to keep their husbands in the style they have become accustomed to. sounds to me like you should have taken your littlest sister with you to stop those horrible kids picking on you and calling you fat! i looked at the shiv sagar palace it looks lovely.everything is painted bright colours out there its very pretty. dont let walter lead you down the wrong path i have seen you under the influence of wacky backy and space cakes! have a sunbath for me and i will go and have a glass of wine for you. erm thats not like me!! love you take care. mags.x

Unknown said...

Aawwe.. still not looking like a pinkie from blighty then? And here's me thinking you'll be "toasting nicely" including "to our health" ha!ha!

And having a fabulous time by the sounds of it. Warm sunshine, blue skies, white foaming surf and warm sandy beaches......ggrrrr!

It's pancake day over here too (but we only have it once a year, tut! tut!)I was tempted earlier this evening by a rather tasty little morsel I served up on my plate, so decided to adorn it with a little squeeze of lemon and a BIG dollop of syrup....mmmmm

Good to hear you're still enjoying and relaxing and the kids are bringing a smile, the little....
*&@$!! Goa sounds like another beautiful part of India to visit.


Carol x


Hey Mandy,

Nice to meet you too in Newcastle. Ditto with the tomato sauce, but try one with sliced tomato instead...mmmmm

Carol

mand said...

hallo darlin! i was teaching one of the indian kids tonite and asked her why the indians kept touching your feet. she said they do it as a mark of respect for their elders! so there you go grandad they are showing you a little respect oohh just a little bit. R E S P E C T thats how much you mean to them. ok enough singing, am going to watch switzerland thrash england and drowned my sorrows with a nice chianti ththth! love you bro, behave.x

Val said...

Have been telling everyone how worried I am cos you haven't written anything lately and then I discover it's me who doesn't quite have the hang of how to find your stuff!

Glad to hear your save and enjoying yourself.

Angie has left on her travels so avoid Malaysia and Aus for a while!

Keep writing

Love Val

Little Gil said...

sounds like your getting the hang of it over there you keep saying beach bum i bet you haven,t done any surfin yet and i would pay to see that . off to the printers in a bit to sample the local beer which has gone up to Rs245 .i think you've forgot to tell us about all the women you have been enjoying . rebecca say's she sees you have joined the addictive face book , you could'nt resist . keep us informed it's a good read you crazy man love lil gil , beck and ben xxx