Saturday 9 February 2008

More chilling in Candolim Goa.





30/1 - Tea and toast by the pool again. When I went to pay today, a different lad, Ramas, told me it was included. His mate looked a bit sheepish after charging me yesterday, but never offered to repay me.
Decided to work on my trains for the next few locations, I managed about 3 in 3 hours. Some run 1 day a week, so 3 or 4 others daily. When I think I have sorted it out, I realise it does not run the day I want. I need a secretary, female and beautiful, not too fussy ay?
Went to the Post Office to post my first postcards. The place is well camoflauged. I walked past it 3 times before I found it, after asking 3 people. It was upstairs from a primary school. I should have known really. Went in I was the only one in the queue, but still managed 2 chapters of my book, before I got may stamps, with a smile I must add.
That is the way it works, be cool, I'll be with you as soon as I finish what I am doing.
Did a few lengths of the pool, it's only little, hit the www and went to work on my beach bum impression with my book down at Big Blue on the beach. Guess who I bumped into at Big Blue. Correct, the ubiquitous Walter. He came over for a couple of interesting chats during his 6 or so attempts to leave. He never got any further than another table and was going around in a circle. He knows where tonights party is, but I think I'll have a quiet night, after watching the sun go down. I love sitting down here for the last few hours of sunlight. Walter has a glow about him too, just like the sun. I have met him everyday so far and enjoyed the craic everytime. I cant help but like him. He flits from table to table and every table is laughing whilst he is there. He recited a poem to me today and made me write it down. Today he is a gypsy. I think there may be some truth in that story, but who knows? He was a Shoalin monk at one point too, I forget how that came about. I hope I am in as good form as he is when I am 64. "Will you still need me, will you still feed me........"
Walters recital:-
Look at this life,
Because this is the very life of life
In its brief course lies all the realities of your existence
The bliss of growth
The glory of action
The splendour of achievment
Look well forth to the dawn.

Kushty bok Gil. Your journey will lead you to your Nirvana.
I don't know where it comes from, but it fits this place and Walter and Me for that matter.
Kushty bok Walter.
So, what do you reckon, gypsy or monk, or just a 25 year old 64?

31/1 - Couldn't get away from the tea and toast by the pool. The Brits on holiday love to chat. Eventually managed to sidle away and do some packing, moving on tomorrow. Then another one of those days at the office in Goa, relaxed, chilled, just mosying through life. Those seem to be the only type of days at the beach in Goa.
I am ready to move on though. It would be easy to stay in Candolim, Goa has that affect on you, life is easy here, but 4 days at the beach is enough for a while.
Decided to have an early night and just go to the restaurant opposite the hotel. It is the Moonlight bar. The early night got quashed when it took an hour for the meal to turn up and when it did, they weren't Northern portions. I think they were soft southern jessy portions.
Well that is Candolim, Goa. I can see why people stay here. It is an easy life and a good place to base yourself, so you can come back and chill after getting wound up by the hustle bustle of some Indian places. I could well be back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gil,

I enjoyed reading about Walter's colourful character, but I can't picture him being either a gypsy, a monk or even just a 25yr old 64? I reckon he must have met up with a guy called maruijana at some point in his life, and they've stayed close friends ever since.

From your description, I can picture Candolim as being a small quiet beach resort with a few beach huts with the occupants having a care-free laid back attitute...A bit like us over here in England really, especially those who live on the North East Coast and are called Mackem's and Geordies (depending on which side of the river)and whose local delicacy is fish n' chips served in Northern portions and definitely not for the faint hearted. They also enjoy tea and toast sitting by the odd pool.. and preferably under an umbrella!

And, I hear they have a local tipple called a feni, made with local ingredients from coconuts or the sap from palm trees and is double distilled, deceptively clear and potent. But can this "cheeky little tipple" rival a man's pint I wonder..?

Keep enjoying the hot sun and sand that gets in every little "nook and cranny". Your beach bum impression must be toasting quite nicely...:0)

Carol x