Wednesday 5 March 2008

No change still in Varanasi, but not for long.

24/2 - No hot shower today, but 1 day out of 2 isn't bad. Just dossing today, trying to let the shakey legs recover. I am getting to be an expert dosser. DDDDDDoser.
Back to the Shanti rooftop for some breakfast, the view is great. I have enjoyed the Shanti probably the most out of all the guesthouses, which for 2 quid, is pretty good. This has been another good stopover. Varanasi is a cool place.
I have not been looking forward to the trek to the autorickshaw, but as I was walking out the door, fully laden, a bloke gave me a tip on the way to go. I never had to negotiate a step all the way, only the cowpats. I went through the maze of ghalis (little alleys) like a fell runner, albeit in super slow motion. The ghalis are really interesting to walk around. They can be claustrophobic, so could set some panic attacks off in the susceptible.
I had the usual carry on with the rickshaw.
Rs80.
No, Rs50.
OK.
He asked for another 10 for parking when we got to the station, but he didn't get it. He probably would have done a week to 10 days ago.
The next stop, Agra, is the penulitmate stop in India. I have been told the touts in Agra are fierce, so it will be a good test.
I think someone put that sign up behind me again "Come and talk to stupid".
I was sat on my rucksack outside the station and 2 deaf, mute lads came over to talk. Work that one out. Between a page from my diary, a pencil and the LP we got along famously, much to the intrigue of a lot of Indians. You should have seen the look we were getting. It looked like they thought it was "You've been Framed".
We chatted or whatever you would call it, for about an hour, then I had to go and check on my train. You never know, it may have been on time. The last thing one of the lads wrote was "Thank you" and we had 3 very big smiles. THis is a great country.
The train was almost on time. Got on and was bunked up with a Japanese lad called Go and 2 Korean lasses both called Something SOmething Lee. I never understood the Something Something parts. They were chatty and good company. Our Mick will be jealous.
A couple of stops down we were joined by a family from Jodpur. While the bunks were setup I ended up with one of their kids asleep in each arm. It was just like being a Grandad. I missed the photo chance though. Blooming useless.
Off to climb into my bunk and snore.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Gil,

Good to know you've been resting the shakey legs. I suppose leggin' it down those steep ghats to focus the amourous glances of your bifocals on all those Indian ladies bathing, didn't help matters! Serves you right, you "rubberneck" you..! It was just as well you didn't step into a BIG cowpat..! :o)

£2 is pretty good amount to spend on a guest house, and I can just picture you practising in the mirror haggling for the banana porridge to be included in this amount Mr. Lastofthebigspenders! God help the local Chorley innkeepers on your return!

Good to hear you've recovered from 'delhi belly' (ugghh..!!) I can just see you kneeling at the waters edge with your dhobi (in hand hopefully..)! Nice to know you're still relaxing and enjoying the sights. How's the photo gallery doing?

Things have been pretty hectic round here with one thing after another. I took a fall last week while negotiating getting out of "super-duper" chair and into bed. It was about 4.30am by the time my brother in law finally managed to gain access and get me off floor and into bed. He was more worried than I was, but being well trained in these matters, I was able to calm his fears. Men...HUH!! However, to safeguard from anything similar happening I am now in the process of looking at some equipment that would assist me independently. And, if your interested, I did a write up on the forum on how I went about funding, with a link to photo's of "super-duper" chair.

I loved the tale about you talking to the two deaf, mute lads. I bet they had great eye contact with each other and I bet you got great enjoyment and delight in being able to communicate with them. Did any of their other 'senses' make up for their loss, such as eye contact..? I'm sure you were also a great source of delight to them and it's nice to know they will carry fond memories of you and your chat.

So now you are on your way to Agra. Now I know this is a silly request but will you take some photo's of the Taj Mahal as they would be a great addition to your gallery. Try not to overstress the leg muscles on your sightseeing, and take things at your own pace, remember not to overdo things and try to conserve energies for another day...as if you didn't know that already.. :o)


Carol X

Mick said...

Shite, we got beat 2-0 in the home leg of the Youth FA cup. Bring on Tim Shitey Cahill.