Thursday 3 April 2008

And so to the Angkor temples, or a couple anyway.

25/3 - Breakfast after another night under the mozzy net. I don't know if it is needed, but I haven't been bitten yet, so it is staying. A young French lass, Madeline, introduced herself at breakfast. I think she is a bit unsure being on her own. I ended up sharing her toot toot to Angkor Wat, a huge temple, but let her get on her way after the 1st 20 minutes. She was on a temple tour and I was on a Gil speed stroll. It was a good move, she seemed happier after a bit of a natter and I am happier strolling. She is a canny lass and has a real sexy French accent. This temple, Angkor Wat, is highly acclaimed. According to the LP, people only come to Siem Reap to visit the surrounding temples, which makes me unique, I came because it was on the departures board and Air Asia fly here, also a visa is obtainable at the airport. I didn't know there are shed loads of temples here. Anyway, Angkor Wat is a bit of a let down after its build up. Possibly because of the size of it. The moat is about 100m across and the grounds are huge. Once into the central area which houses all sorts, baths, corridors, bas reliefs, the temple it is a bit special, especially when I sit for a break in the shade of the courtyard where the temple towers up I begin to feel the ancient place is a bit special, still not awesome though. I tried my hardest, but could not get awestruck. It is hell of a place, just a bit overstated.
The main towering temple is closed, which is a blessing in disguise, as a set of stairs complete with banister have been built to the top, so I would not have been able to resist. The original steps look very steep and dodgy, but I may have been tempted. The breather over, I moved out into the ground and came across a small temple, with monk housing next to it and a "Poor Childrens school". This is the second such school I've seen, perhaps they are run by the monks.
I moved on and eventually out, after several water stops. I am sweltering and leaking like a shower again. I wandered the local stalls outside the temple grounds and decided on some fried vegetable, egg and noodles. I thought I had better give the meat a miss, though the chicken and fish looked great on the spits. There were a couple of families in here too, noshing and quaffing back the tea, while they had a good old laugh. These seem a very happy people and it is great to sit around them. There is also the ubiquitous hammock slung behind the tables. It looks like it is for a kid, it's so small, but the stall holder climbs in and she is asleep in no time.
Time to move on. I asked the waitress how far it was to the next temple, Ta Prohm. "3 Km" she told me, so with this knowledge I went off to get a moto (motorcycle lift). $5 dollars was the asking price, it came down to $4, but I still thought that was a rip off, so moved on, only to find my knowledge was wrong. It was $4 and a lot farther than 3 Km.
Into Ta Prohm, again it is huge, with great tree roots doing their best to destroy or engulf the temple. This is more like it. This knocks spots off Ankgor Wat. It has a Tomb Raider tree and Angeline Jolie gets a few mentions, so I guess some of the film was shot here. I don't remember the tree, so must have been distracted by Miss Jolie, although I find that hard to believe. The temple and grounds have a great feel to them, if slightly spooky as the huge trees try to take back what was once there space. Ta Prohm has the feeling of an old holy place whilst being wild and soothing too. There is still more to explore here, but I am beginning to wilt, so make my way out and bumped into Madeline on her way in. I was going to hitch a ride, but she is going to watch the sunset at another temple and I'm ready for a beer and a shower. At the stalls I bought a pineapple and sat peoplewatching whilst I ate it. The sun is starting to dip and it's still hot, but a smashing time of day. There is no toot toot or moto free, they are all waiting for the people they dropped off. I asked a toot toot driver the score. He said it's $5 dollars back to town, but everyone is booked up. He disappeared and came back with a lady who can sort me out a moto. $6 dollars she said. "Hang on, it's only $5 by toot toot!!"
"Ah, but there are no toot toots" she replied with a knowing smile, then dropped it to $5.
Fair enough, it looks like a suppliers market and I enjoyed the ride on the back of a moto to town.
I had that beer then the shower and headed into town. If I'd laid on the bed, I'd have been asleep. I went into the Dead Fish restaurant for some fish with ginger. It was delicious. There was also free Apsara dancing every 20 minutes or so. The lady dancer moves very controlled and slow holding a gold vase. Her legs, feet, toes, arms, wrists, hands and fingers seem to be telling a story. It is very beautiful, as is the dancer , in fact she is a stunner. She came back next time with a lad for a couple of dances. She looked elegant and poised, completely smooth in her movements, he looked like he was in a rush before the second half of the match started. I guess the dancing is along the lines of the Geisha dancing. It was more beautiful than I thought it could be with no extravagant movement. IMPRESSED!!.
Back to the guest house for a beer and bed. Madeline was in and came over to repay some dollars I'd loaned her and for a natter. She does not strike me as a solo traveller. She like to have someone to talk to and discuss plans with. She has some great facial expressions that colour her chat. She is off to Angkor Wat to see the sunrise. There's no way I am getting up that early. She tried to team up with 2 lasses she is rooming with, but they couldn't come to an agreement.
I'm doing another Gil tour tomorrow, so time to hit the sack.

2 comments:

Mick said...

I'd like to expand the writing a bit, but don't want to write much personal stuff. I have been trying to write up the films I watched for years, but have struggled to keep it going, but the blog seems to encourage me. I don't care if no-one reads it, as it is more of a diary for me.
I'll have to stop being so cryptic in my texts, or I will start depressing you.
I won't comment on upcoming fixtures, just to say I'm excited at the prospects. At least until we play Arsenal.

Keep safe
Mick

Unknown said...

Time has been on my side to make a comment back at Sipadan..

I'll catch up soon,

Carol x