Saturday 5 April 2008

Hitting temple saturation in Angkor.

27/3 - Last night Martin and James were telling me about 3 temples they visited. The grey matter must have been mulling it over in my sleep and today is the last day of my 3 day pass, so I decided to visit 3 more over breakfast. They are only supposed to be small ones too, so I set off to town to pick up a toot toot. I set off the quiet way, to miss the "in your face" drivers. I had only gone about 50m and there was a toot toot driver lolling in the back of his toot toot. He said he was busy, nice way to be busy, but flagged down another in seconds. The price agreed we are off and at a nice sedate pace. IT took about 30 minutes to get to the first temple, Preh Khan. I was wrong about the small size and they are a bit off the beaten track and not so easily walked, at least this one. THis one is up and down into and out of corridors. I'm glad I came. I thought I was templed out but this one is Same Same but different again. This one is quiet and relaxing. The toot to0t ma gave me an hour, but I could have sat another half an hour just soaking it up. Never mind, it has been a good experience.
On to Ta Som. THis one is a small version of Ta Prohm with the huge trees trying to take back their territory, it is not as impressive as Ta Prohm, but still impressive. On the way to another gate, there's a young lass selling postcards, books etc. Business must be slow as she is swaying in a hammock, so I took her photo, which prompted the request to buy something, but I happily declined. Guilt got the better of me on the way back and the good fun the hawkers have with you, so I bought some postcards from her and a local type scarf from her mate not for the cold, it will probably end up as a sweat rag, but they get used for dust masks, sun blocks all sorts. Don't expect a postcard, buying them is one thing, sending another and don't worry that I have gone on a spending spree, both cost $2 total after a bit of bartering. This one is a small temple, but the tree claiming the West entrance is huge, so it is on to the next one, not the one I asked for, I don't know why, but I didn't chase it. This one is Preah Rup. I never knew it was the wrong one until I went looking for the water feature in the central temple. I did a lap of the ground floor and there was not entrance, so I thought it must be at the top. I was half way up the big steps when I realised it was the wrong temple, but too late to turn back now and it was a challenge, but only a small one for someone as fit as me with his stick in hand. It was well worth it, the breeze is terrific, in fact a strong wind, so I sat and savoured it for a while. There is a good view up here too. This temple is a bit different, the carvings are good and there is no getting inside. It is a bit like a pyramid. I clambered up out of view of the toot toot driver as he was becoming over fussy, but went down on the side he is parked. I made it 2/3 rds of the way before he came pelting up. It was good of him, but it is difficult to convey that some things are easier done alone.
Anyway, that is my templing done for Angkor and for someone who is not a temple person, I have thoroughly enjoyed it and done it at my own pace. Off back to the guesthouse. There are loads of Cambodian workers in hammocks on the way back, suspended between 2 trees. I reckon they pack them in their lunch boxes. They are a great idea for a place with this climate and so many trees. Have hammock will crash.
Back at the guesthouse, the toot toot man tries to line me up for tomorrow, normal practice, but tomorrow is a rest day. Into the bar, but not for a beer, I've been going to have some of the chocolate banana bread all week, so I did and with ice cream, it is delicious, why have I waited so long.
I forgot to tell you the other woman thing. I think the lady boys are taking effect on me, I bought myself a gorgeous little purse with delicate pink and purple embroidery. I got fed up of pulling soggy notes out of my back pocket and when I moved them to the front, they were crushed or hanging out, so I couldn't find a small wallet and a purse it is. I look quite cute using it, well perhaps not, but I don't look a right nancy either, I have not been tapped up since buying it. I headed for a coffee shop next, Martin and James recommended it, but it was shut, so was the one over the road, so I begrudgingly went and had a beer. HONEST!! I moved on to Temple Bar, surprisingly situated in Temple St. I sat downstairs people watching until I noticed that there is Apsara dancing upstairs, so up I went. There is a whole team of them here, 5 lads and 5 lasses. The better dancers just flow elegantly. I think I am in love with all the lasses, their costumes and makeup are beautiful. I think I will come back for a 2nd viewing here.
Time to head back, I am starting to flag. My ego has taken a big boost tonight, I have only been offered sex by women, well, I'm pretty sure. I went back the busy way and must have had 50 toot toot offers and about 20 massage ones before I hit the sack.

2 comments:

Mick said...

We're staying, up, we're staying up, we're staying, Sunderland's staying up!

Don't want to sound big-headed, but I think you will find my last post says I felt good about today.

I shall have to look out for the lass at work who has a Fulham season ticket. She is a good sort though, but I bet she if miffed about this year. She was good when we were shite.

I hope you realise we now have more points than in our last two premiership seasons.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.