Saturday 17 May 2008

A bit of beach bum practice.

2/5 - On the moto and off to the boat for Phu Quoc with Coung. It leaves from a fishing village, Ho Bong and is a big old rust bucket, but for $6 it's good. The roof from the steering cabin had to be removed, so the boat would fit under a bridge on the way out to sea. It was crowbared back into place afterwards. I cant help but love S.E. Asia, it makes things fit as it rolls along. This is the river that was packed with fishing boats yesterday and it is no different today. It's like ship dodgems manouvering out of the estuary. The boat is a big old thing and there are only about 20 of us on it. There was a bag left on one seat, it wasn't ticking, it was clucking and then about 5 minutes later it was crowing. The owner took him out for some fresh air about half way and what a fine feather of a cockerel he is. The owner must have bought him for breeding, his back claws have been cut, so he's a lover not a fighter, just like me. If only...........
I was doing a bit of writing later on and he cockerel owner came over to check it out. He picked out a few words like Phu Quoc and Vietnam, but that was it. I like the open curiosity of the Vietnamese, there's no standing off like most Brits.
A big old lad came over for a quick natter and asked to have his photo taken with me. That is a first since Malaysia. Half the people were asleep before we left the harbour and most of the rest not long after. I confess to a power nap too, layed back on my rucksack. The captain had one too, in a hammock slung across the wheel deck. One of the other lads was steering with his feet, his not the captains. The trip was about 3 and a half hours and a nice easy one. Coung had recommended a quiet beach, but when I arrived I went for some noodles and a coffee to ponder again. I went for the more busy place with more amenities. The place I chose is pretty good too. The bungalow is a bit basic, but 50 metres from the beach. The nearest town is Duong Dong (Juom Jom), but I am not off there today. The beach is narrow in most places, but miles long and the sea and sand are smashing. I went for a dip and a beer and can feel complete relaxation taking over already. I even stayed in the resort for tea and a few beers. Not much chance of a starlit sky tonigh, to much light and too many clouds, so an early night for a read in the hammock.

1 comment:

mand said...

Hello you,
Nice to hear its time for a relax. I on the other hand are meeting myself coming back at the moment! Ahhh the stress of the rat race!! I am of to pauls wedding with aunty isa this saturday, you can imagine the abuse i got off my big sisters when i told them. I will have to be on my best behaviour. Our Val and Dick are swaning it up in Mexico at the moment she txt to let me know how nice it is, real kind of her. I was working when i got the txt so you can imagine the reply. I think everybody should take a leaf out of S.E Asias book and try and relax a bit and go with the flow. I think i could quite happily live out there, just chilling in a hammock sounds great. Although i might need to take my own bike, i am not so clever on this 1 so god knows what i would be like on a wobbly old thing. Probably keep falling off, it must run in the family! I have started a fitness regime so i am now off to punish myself on the lateral thigh trainer, i have just about recovered from tuesday so here we go again. Enjoy chilling your beans and i will write soon.
love ya .xx