Wednesday 14 May 2008

Where am I now???? Still the same place.

30/4 - Had a bit of a wander looking for a bike, but gave up and went for some breakfast. I thought it was about time I tried the S.E. Asia breakfast, so ordered some noodles and fried veg and you know what? I should have tried it earlier.
I moved out looking again and got touted for a motorbike outing tomorrow. It wasn't heavy pressure and I think I'll call the lad and set it up later. He warned me off the high pressure tout of yesterday, that could have been beating up the competition I suppose. This lad, Coung, pronounced Cuun, speaks good English too. He also directed me to a bike hire place, so now I have a very small lady shopper to bruise my knees on, no gears and a wobbly pedal too, this should be an adventure. Not just yet though, I walked across the road, parked it and went in the floating cafe for a coffee. I left the bike, without a lock, when I asked for one the lady told me "This is Vietnam, you don't need one." I bet I lose the bugger now.
The iced coffee in Vietnam is great, if I have said that before, it is only because it is great and comes with a free pot of tea, usually. I bought a cake last night, because I was getting withdrawl symptoms, so I got stuck into that. The grumpy old man whispered in my ear "They wouldn't allow you to eat your own stuff in our bloody country."
Ha Tien seems to be a relaxed place, although today is Liberation day from the Yanks, so the flags are out and the place has a buzz about it.
I got on the road to have a butchers around. There are lots of backstreets with shops tucked away down them. The riverside is a smashing place to stroll, like I said Ha Tien is a nice place. I bought a hat for Paige's birthday, a big spender me. It cost so much the postage was more. It should be though, the amount of work that went into posting it. I had to fill out 5 forms, the lady wrapped it for me, which is always a bonus. She did it while doing all the other jobs in the place too.
I went down the market area. Market areas in Vietnam are always interesting and busy, I like to wander through them. A police or army wagon came hurtling through with its siren whaling. It can't happen very often, because everyone stopped watching me and looked at it. I trundled on a bit, my knees getting bluer on the handlebars, then I got my big toe stuck in the front wheel. Difficult to do??? Nah, a piece of cake for me. I will have somemore skinned marks on my tan now. The only thing that got hurt was my pride. People have been laughing at my knees hitting the handlebars all day, now they are rolling in the street. Oh no, that was me. I did feel a fool.
I called it a day for now and went for a shower to get the grit out of my knee and lay on my pit and nodded off. I must be getting old. I know better, I was just tired. After the power nap, I was back out on the street, upright this time. The town is buzzing even more now. Stalls have been setup along the river, mostly aimed at the female contingent, clothes and jewellry. I took the bike back, before I did myself anymore damage and went for some tasty food. I use the chopsticks usually. It seems to give people a laugh. One lady was motioning at me to eat, so she could watch and have a chuckle, we had a bit of a laugh. I am turning into a circus act. I moved on for a coffee with the rowdy lads. There were only a few there, so it was more relaxed, a nice evening watching the world go by on bikes and motorbikes. I do love this life.

No comments: