Friday 15 February 2008

6/1 - Up and having an easy morning before heading off. Banana porridge and a brew for breakfast. Wandered along to the local WH Smiths and swapped my book. I wonder what WH Smith back home would say if you asked to swap a book for another? For once there are some clouds and it is cool. Stopped at the hippie bar in Hampi for some lemon tea and toast whilst listening to Bob Marley crooning or whatever the reggae equivalent to crooning is. Picked up my gear to go to the bus and the bloody clouds have gone. I wont be sorry to say goodbye to these digs, Vickys, they are miserable buggers and just want your money, but what can you expect from a bloke called Vicky? I will be sorry to say goodbye to Hampi though. This is a "way out man" place to stay. It is alcohol free, but I have been offered marijuana a couple of times by the locals. Mind you it could have been mint for all I know if I'd taken it. I'd probably have thought it was some kind of weak menthol weed. Wandered off to the bus stop with more than a little sweat and more than a little harrassment from the rickshaw drivers, but I held out for the bus and saved myself a quid. I also bartered for my rickshaw at the other end in Hospet and saved myself, it must have been 8p. Another 3 or 4 years in India and I should have made back the money in my wallet, I'm only about 58 pound 92p down now.

I was hoping for a left luggage at the train station, so I could have a wander, but no joy. There is nearly 6 hours to the train. I locked my luggage to the rack in the waiting room and went to see the station policeman about my wallet, as the police in Hampi told me to. This bloke told me I had to go to the police station about 60Km away. Could this be the ducking of responsibility I am seeing here. I gave up and went back to the waiting room and now I know why all the mattresses in India are so hard, it is training for the formica benches in the waiting room and it worked, I had a good kip.

I got nattering to an Indian lad on the platform. I'm sure they put a sign up behind me "Gather round this idiot". After a couple of minutes there were about 8 or 9. They just like to try and talk to strangers and they don't come much stranger. It was the same questions, married, kids age, from where you come, your good name? Your good name is a commonly used phrase. They all burst out laughing just after I told them my age. One of the blokes was the same age. I was told he said, "Look at me, 54 and scrawny and he is iron man" Little did he know.... I must admit I do look a big, healthy bugger.

And here is the train, my first overnighter. Each open section has 8 beds. The seats fold out to make beds. 6 are about 5 foot 6 inches and 2 are 4 foot 6 inches. Being 6 foot 2 guess which one Mr Murphy reserved for me? I slept great considering, but the problem with the overnight train is you miss the scenery.

Next up Mysore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Banana porridge for breakfast..? Now you ARE starting to sound like a "grumpy old man" (ha-ha!)
Good to hear you're holding back from those harrassing rickshaw drivers, all that practising in the mirror with the "NO" look has paid off then...


Carol x