Friday 15 February 2008

Mysore day 2.





8/1 - Up and at 'em early. Too early, everywhere is shut. Had breakfast with the Kiwi lass. She is here on a yoga course. Mysore is developing a name for teaching a brand of yoga. She had a tale to tell about hiring a flat. She had booked out of the hotel yesterday to move in, but an Indian saga meant she had changed flats twice, ended up back in the hotel and is moving into the first one today. Nothing is quick here, except the rickshaw lads when they see you. I have never seen a rickshaw lass yet.
The Kiwi lass asked my plans. (I know, why bother planning). I'm off to Mangalore on the bus tomorrow.
"That has to be the worst bus ride in India, why not try Ooty" (which was on my list originally).
So there goes the plan. I am off to Ooty tomorrow.
I have had to curtail my itinerary, I was too ambitious, or stupid, with hindsight, but it leaves the door open to return.
I have pondered now and come up with the perfect plan for touring in India. "There is no plan, just go with the flow."
Wandered along to the bus station to see if I need to book for Ooty. It doesn't look like it. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.
Mysore is a bit overcast today, which is nice heat wise, but it makes the sweat roll even faster. I would say perspiration for you ladies, but I can't spell it.
Took a wander to the Devaraja market, which is a great place to wander around, up there with the palace in a different way. Loads of fruit and veg stalls, household stalls, bangle stalls. The paint stalls are really vivid. Not decorating, picture paints and the ones for the bindi dots on the head. Conical piles of bright powder.
Surprise, surprise. I checked out the price of the bangles. Not for me, for Paige. 12 for Rs10. 12p?? A bit pricey I thought, but being big-hearted I bought some to post to her. The lad told me the ones I was looking at are plastic, these metal ones would be better. Ay Ay, sales pitch??
"How much???"
"Same price". Gobsmacked I bought them. Why can't India be like this always.
Because then it wouldn't be India, you idiot.
I walked around a bit and thought perhaps these bangles are a bit small, so I went back to check out the bigger ones. "How much?" "12 for Rs10". Oh go on then, I'll take 12. Big spender.
Got approached by a lad. No, not that type of approach. He knew a coffee shop, just like in Amsterdam. "Do you now Amsterdam?" "Yes I know Amsterdam" I declined, but he collared me again later. I must look like a dopehead, or perhaps just a dope.
I was up early. Train-lag I guess, so went for 40 winks. Up and out for my e-fix. Check the emails etc. The bloody VAT man is after me. I'm in India for goodness sake. Kelly will sort them out.
The rush hour is upon us and the chicken run begins to cross the road. It quite fun, but I haven't been hit yet. The traffic fumes in India are serious, they can be tasted.
Took a wander to the Post Office, near the bus station I went to earlier, but the route is completely different. There are street vendors all over the place selling all sorts.
It looks like there is a storm brewing. Back to freshen up. It's also 18:00, mozzy hour, so I need to slick up. I've been lucky so far, just the odd bite.
I was going to go up the local hill tonight, Chamundi hill, check out the view, but decided to chill, perhaps a good idea with a storm coming. Ate at the hotel, limited but good. Pulled a chair out of the room and sat on the communal balcony for a read. The storm never came, but I am chilled.

http://picasaweb.google.com/brooks.gilbert/MysoreAndOnTheWayThere

No comments: