Sunday 10 February 2008

The next leg to Hampi







1/2 - The plan was bus to Panjim, bus to old Goa, train to Margao and train to Hubli night in Hubli, to Hampi the next day.
It went like this. Got the bus to Panjim, decided to get the bus to Margao, at the window, saw the bus goes to Vasco too, which is where the train starts from, so got the bus to Vasco. The conductor from the Candolim bus was really helpful. I never know whether I am being helped for money or just out of good nature, this lad did it out of the goodness of his heart. I think that tends to be the way out of the big cities.
Whilst standing in the train ticket queue, for about an hour, which can be normal at the larger hubs, I noticed the train I was going to get to Hubli goes on Thursdays, yesterday. All that planning by the pool went well then. Oh well, I am nothing if not flexible. I'll get the train to Hospet tomorrow, from Margao, Vasco does not look too clever as a place to stay. It is not mentioned in the Lonely Planet and I don't fancy trugging around with all my gear looking for a place to stay.
Jumped onto a local passenger train, I have never been on a passenger, as opposed to an express, train. The locals hang out of the doors on these. This one was quiet though, but they still hang out of the door. The only differnce to Sleeper class on the express trains is the seats aren't upholstered. Got off in Margao, probably the first thing I've done right today. I almost blew this. I asked 3 railway staff if I needed a ticket or do I pay the conductor. I got the Indian wobble of the head and the distinct impression I paid the conductor. 15 minutes before the train, I thought I would just try one more time. I needed a ticket. Luckily enough, there is a local counter as well as the long distance counter so it only took a minute. Rs 6, not even 10p.
Prepaid rickshaw to the Margoa Residency. Now I know the Residency part is a chain and that is what the rooms are like. It is OK for Rs700.
Margao is a smart little place, busy, nice municipal gardens. Loads of street sellers come out after dusk, mostly clothes and food. It has a nice feel to it. I like Margao. I found Sheila's internet, Rs10 per hour, it was 50 or 60 in Candolim.
Spotted a clothes shop that had only 3 football shirts hung up, Inter, Newcastle and Sunderland. What odds would you get on that? They all looked the latest authentic kit, but weren't. I bet the Newcastle one stays there a long time.
Ordered some bahjis in a local restaurant. They weren't the bhajis like in the UK, but they were bhajis and tasty. I can spell it anyway I want, they do over here. I knew what the pudding was, shrikhand. I have got a liking for that. A glass of lassi and cup of chai. 1 pound 20p. You cant whack it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gil,

After reading your travel planning maybe it's your turn to write 10 "top tips" on travelling by bus/train/rickshaw...?
I love the way the locals hang out of train doors, perhaps it's a good way of cooling off?

Margao sounds a bustling little place. There seems to have been a run on selling football shirts though, and only 3 left in one shop? Inter, Newcastle and Sunderland? Well, Well, Well... bloody Mackem's are everywhere!


Carol x