Wednesday 25 June 2008

On the move across the Mekong.

29/5 - Up and at 'em. Well up, I dossed in the room for a while, did a few exercises, few being the main word here, then fell asleep again. I must have been tired. Dung woke me to tell me she had booked me into another place on An Binh, an island on the Mekong and is on her way to pick me up. Panic shower and pack and we're on her friends moto and off to an island in the Mekong. It sounds very romantic, an island in the Mekong, but I'm not so sure it matches up to Phu Quoc. It is a smashing island though and big, this Mekong is huge. There is a 2nd ferry to An Binh, which I didn't know about, so it shows how big it is, or stupid I am. No postcards to Mick this time. The place I am booked into is smashing. Dinner bed and breakfast for $11 dollars. It sounds too good to be true. I'll let you know. I wish I had known about it earlier. I am getting well looked after. This place has loads of bikes, so I hired one and went for an explore. It's a tadge hot, but nice when the breeze hits. THe island is a maze of roads and rivers and somehow I ended up at the other ferry. I'd stopped along the way for Nuoc mia, sugar cane drink, and was hassled by a few kids for money, no problem, no money. Almost everyone who went passed as I sat drinking, smiled and quipped to the owner of the place. I was going to try and weave my way back down some bak paths and alleys, but thank heavens common sense kicked in and I went back the way I had come, this time stopping for tra da. I picked a bit more secluded seat this time but still drew curiosity.. It's still blistering hot, so I plodded back slowly. I don't make it over many bridges, but most people stop and get off. There's a neat little village around one of the bridges. It looks very poor, but has a very posh church. If I wasn't melting I'd have a look around. I've spotted an internet place in the middle of nowhere, so may call back tomorrow. Back at the ranch, I sat in the breeze to try and dry off before plonking in one of the many hammocks and when I did plonk, I crashed. It is becoming a pasttime. Shower and another swing in the hammock before dinner. The dinner was a banquet. Whole fish, prawns, pork, chicken, spring rolls. I had to tell them half portions tomorrow, it was outrageous and delicious, so much soit was back to the hammock with a beer and blow me if I didn't nod off again. I cant shake this cold off, so have been ordered to rest up tomorrow. I think I can probably manage that.

2 comments:

Flo said...

Aaaaah, all the girls are made up that you are back with Dung - all Drummer wants to know is where to get those special raffle tickets! We liked the romantic moment watching the sun going down and thanked the great one that you had found a dentist to sort out the smile and some pink balm to get the kissing tackle ready for action.
Keep up the good work - you can turn it into an agasaga when you get back.
Take care and make sure you DO do everything that we wouldn't do.
Flo, Banty, Bella, Zola, Tilly and the Drummer the bad boy.

Unknown said...

Nice to know you're an honest guy Gil and followed your heart. I wish you well.


Carol