Monday 30 June 2008

On to An Bing and off to Bangkok.

30, 31/5 - This new place is smashing, in amongst the dykes and greenery, I just don't know where amongst them. This is not a huge island, but it is a maze. Vietnamese breakfast and lovely, then took a bike out for a slow miander. I stopped at the internet, but it was a waste of time, between leaving the digs and the internet shop, the island power is off, so a short miander and back to the hammock then lunch. More good food, but too much. The power came back, so nipped along to the internet place then believe it or not I dossed until dinner time. Too much food again.
Next day, the penulitmate one in Vietnam/Asia. I don't really want to head off, especially to Bangkok, but it may be a good thing for a while. We'll see.
Breakfast and out on the bike again. I've been feeling a bit gimpy, but the bike put me right. A good old sweat sorts lots of things out. It was good to be on the bike wandering and collecting the Hellos and smiles. I hope it sees this cold off too. Back for a shower and a laze in the hammock. It seems to cure the cold, well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Sadly packed some gear. More food, fresh spring rolls, the roll them yourself kind. They are very tasty, but I am not a dab hand at rolling them. The family that own this place are smashing. The 2 daughters speak a bit of English, but the rest of the people don't. We still get along famously. They are really friendly. I asked if they did laundry and they pointed to the bowl. I thought they meant get stuck in, but when I went to it, the father donned his marigolds and took over laughing.
Dung and Anh Bai have sorted out transport to HCM for tomorrow. I got offered a bus at 04.00 or 10.00. Guess which one I took.
Off to bed for the last time in Asia.
Up for breakfast, noodles, sticky rice cake and fruit. The arrangements to get to HCM are not as I thought last night, after a word with the daughter. I have to get a moto to the bus company back in Vinh Long then a bus to HCM. Sometimes I think the Vietnamese don't understand each other. I can chose my own moto time, so I got myself sorted and left for Vinh Long. I have really enjoyed staying here. It is a relaxing place. The moto turns up on time and is to take me to the bus station. I have been told buses don't run to HCM from the station, but we're on our way. The buses don't run from the bus station, I got dropped at a shop in town, but it did the job. Nearly everytime I travel in Vietnam it is different to arrange. The buses run hourly, but I only had to wait 10 minutes for the next one. They are definitely designed for Vietnamese stature. There was some chuckling when I was coaxing myself to the back seat. I was glad when we stopped so I could unwind my legs. I was sat next to a nice couple and their kid. The lady did her best to strike up a conversation with me and was very impressed I knew about 20 words of Vietnamese, so much so, she asked if I had a Vietnamese girlfriend. You can't put one passed women and the Vietnamese don't beat about the bush. I got the 20 questions again. After that I intorduced the kid to "round and round the garden like a teddy bear" and " this little piggy" which impressed the parents as much as the kid. I was offered food along the way, as usual. They are a friendly people. Not only do the buses to HCM from Vinh Long not go from the bus station, this one does not drop you at a bus station either. It is at the company office somewhere in HCM. WHere? I don't have a clue. However there are always moto men or taxis lurking, well nearly always, today is a first, NOTHING so I set off down the road to nowhere in particular, when I'd loaded up. I 0nly did about 50 metres and a taxi slowd up. I had no idea where I was in this sprawling city, but it wasnt too far from the airport, the fare was cheap.
I havent been looking forward to Bangkok, but now I am here. The ATM rejected my first card, but the 2nd got me the taxi fare. I got done there too, but only a quid or so. I agreed a price, but they should go on the metre, I later read. I wonder if I'll ever learn. Straight to the hotel, even though I only had the address. How could I forget a name like "The Wendy House"? It's OK too and I'm beat, so had a brew and hit the sack. WHilst I was sorting a room out in reception an Aussie lad and lass walk in " Hello Mate". I'd stayed at the same place as them in Kep, Cambodia. Unbelievable? Obviously not. They were off to Northern Thailand to do a bit of plumbing on an elephant place. This is the couple who have left Australia with not timetable, just going with the flow. We had a good natter then I got that brew.

No comments: