Monday 18 February 2008

A day in the tower, more or less.

13/1 - I am very tempted to wander into the woods, but 3 people so far have warned me off. Ravi was telling me of a bloke, albeit 10 years ago, who was on his honeymoon at Forest Hills and wandered into the woods. He was killed by an elephant. I pumped Ravi for some safety tips when trekking, but didn't venture in. Coward or clever? I'll never know.
Except for meals and a bit of packing I sat and snoozed in the tower all day. It is a good Gil place. The langar monkeys, I found out they are called, were in a different set of trees this time. There was a lack of boars, but the deer foraged their way through on a few occasions. There is something good about being quiet and watching them pass through. There were some different birds, including about 10 grey hornbills and smashing white breasted kingfisher, another good day at the office. That is it for the day, unless anything unusual comes through in the twilight.
AND the unusual thing was about 30 people, who had gone through in smaller groups earlier, coming back through together, quite a few of them with tree trunks balanced on their heads. They were all ages and included a couple of women. I had heard them hacking away all day and wondered what was going on. Now I know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

G'Day Indy... (that's short for Indiana Jones in case you were wondering)?

'Snoozin' in the tower all day won't get you promoted to sentry duty you know! No wonder you didn't see very much. The animals probably heard your 'snoozin snores' and quietly tiptoed past..:0) Office workers, HUH!!

That story about the newlywed who wandered into the woods and got killed by an elephant was just awful. How tragic for his bride!

And I bet those people with the tree trunks on their heads were organising a bloody BIG barbeque. Goodness knows what they were going to put on it..? Elephant perhaps..?

Good to hear your still chillin'


Carol x