Monday 18 February 2008

The next chill day in Bokkapuram

12/2 - Was woke at 2 a.m. by something on the roof. It sounded like it was trying to eat its way through the roof. It stopped when I put the light on, but started scampering around when I put it off. I reckon a monkey, but I never found out. I was expecting a good nights kip, but not to worry it was a fantastic day.
Decided to get up and watch the dawn in the tower, so was up there for 6:15. A couple of deer wander into the clearing, then a big tusker boar. A few more deer graze their way to below the tower and back into the woods. There are loads of birds starting to sing. The light is slowly coming and about 13 deer make their way into the clearing and then bound off into the woods as a couple of trekkers and their guide appear.
The dawn and dusk are great soothing times of the day. The dawn has broken now and the trekkers are long gone. I thought I may follow them when a family of white cheeked barbets appear in the tower preening themselves. They look like fluffy thrushes. A chipmunk joins us and has a scurry around and tries to jump up next to me. I went to check the woods, although I'm seeing enough from up here. There's not much there at first glance, but I may have a wander down tomorrow. It's breakfast time.
Sebastian must think I look skinny, it is a bowl of cornflakes, toast and tea and then he wants me to have eggs.
Took a wander back to the hut. The dogs have spotted me. I stayed inside hoping they'd go. Kaiser did, but the lab followed me to the tower. I locked him out and he wandered off. Had a scan around and spotted a group of what I would call black faced gibbons. They are jumping about in a tree 150 m away. I decided to have a nod and they were gone when I woke up.
It's getting to midday and the sun has finally burned off the low clouds, they are just hanging over the tops of the hills now. It rained in the night, but is fairly dry now.
Kaiser and the lab turn up barking trying to chase some bullocks out of the clearing, but it ends up the other way around. I think they are well known because none of the animals take any notice of them, except the peacocks.
The resort have arranged for me to go to Mudamalai National park after lunch. It is really an expensive taxi ride, said the grumpy old man. A trip around the park in the park vehicles. There were deer and a bison, but I could not see the bison. There's always a chance though, so I had to go. Then a trip to the elephant farm. There was not much to see here, with regards to elephants, they were still working. There was a baby one and a museum. I went in with Ravi, the jeep driver. There were stuffed animals. Ravi told me had seen them all and often sees tigers and leopards wandering across the road. There were black panther, leopard, tiger, sloth bear, bison, all sorts. Ravi mentioned that it was possible to see them all at Forest Hills, it is all down to luck. He pointed out a fallen tree on the way back where he often sees a leopard perched. That would be cool to see, but not this trip. He did work in the reserve for 14 years, so I suppose it is no wonder he has seen the lot. He was telling me the resort owner had been bitten by a sloth bear on the resort.
I was offered a safari, which is actually along the main roads, for Rs500 but declined. Call me a cynical, grumpy old man, but I reckon I'd have the same chance to see as much in the tower and I enjoy sitting there too. He's a good lad Ravi too, very informative and smiley.
Back at the resort and I went back to the tower until after dark. It is just a good place to sit. I heard some crunching in the trees and was hoping elephant, but it turned out to be a family of boars, not the Brooks'.
Back for a banquet, even though I'd asked for less. There was some smashing fish steaks and then for a read and bed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! What a fabulous way to start the day by watching the wildlife at dawn. Your description was brilliant! You'd make a great "side-kick" for David Attenborough! And, I bet you even whispered the words as you typed them in your blog! I think a bowl of cornflakes, toast and tea AND eggs were definitely in order there.

Mind you Gil, I would have been terrified at being woken up at 2a.m by the sound of something eating its way through the roof. I usually have to phone my brother in law if I have a spider in the house! You were lucky though, it could have been a tiger, or even a leopard... grrr! which reminds me, have you spotted one yet? (I think there's a joke in there somewhere ..No? Never mind!)

Looking forward to hearing the next instalment of your trip to the elephant farm. So, remember to keep your feet up!


Carol x

ps: Temperature tonight in England is -7 :o(