Monday 18 February 2008

Ooty to Masinagudi and eventually Bokkapuram.

11/2 = Not sure how today will pan out, surprise, surprise. The hotel bloke has told me he'll sort the minibus out for 8:30, 8:45. He asked if I wanted breakfast, so I went for the staple tea and toast. It is a beautiful day, so sat outside for a while, one of the lads came past me and headed into town, "I bet he's gone for the bread".
15 minutes later, back he came, loaf in hand. I am the only one staying here. I think this is another place trying to hang onto its existence. I hope it survives.
Astonishingly the bus turns up on time, then pottered around Ooty for an hour picking up others. My bag got its first ride on top of a bus. 9.45 and we're off to Masinagudi. There are 36 hairping bends on the way down, each one numbered, just like Alp D'Huez. Ooty is at 2240m and Masinagudi at 960m, so quite a drop, it would fit well into the Tour de France, except the roads aren't up to it.
We miandered down to Masinagudi by 11:00 and the driver stopped in the village, said something to a bloke stood by the road and carried on. When we left the village I thought I had better tell him I'm getting off here.
He pulled over and my bag came off the roof and they said goodbye. Left me in the road with my gear. It was only a few hundred meters and a nice day. I was back in town for 11:15. Phoned up a few places and this place is expensive, so I phoned the 1400 place I spoke to yesterday.
"Do you have a room?"
"Yes, special price, 1700"
"Hang on, she said 1400 yesterday"
"She forgot the tax."
"That's a lot of tax."
"OK, 1200."
"Deal"
I lost the logic in that one too, but I got a good deal.
A lad in Masinagudi approached me to go to his place. A lot cheaper. I asked why is it cheaper and he told me Bokkapuram is quiet and peaceful. Bad sales pitch, Bokkapuram it is.
Got a jeep out the Forest Hills Resort. It is just what the doctor ordered. All I can hear is the birds singing and the flies buzzing. It is located at the foot of some hills, it's smashing. I was shown to my bamboo hut, which did not seem to have much bamboo, mostly plywood, but it is just the job. The staff are very friendly. There seems to be more chiefs than indians, but I am the only one here, so that wont matter. I don't think this place is hanging onto existence though. I don't think I have enough cash for 3 days, but if I do, I reckon I will stay.
Took a wander down to the lookout tower and was joined by a boxer and a labrador, who ran on ahead just to make sure any birds and wildlife were scared away.
I saw some spotted deer, luckily before Kaiser the boxer did and there are loads of colourful birds. I nodded off on the couch in the tower until I was buzzed by a mozzy. Nodded off again, this time to be awakened by Kaiser barking at a family of wild boar. They weren't taking a blind bit of notice of him, so he legged it down to so them who was boss until one of the younger ones took an interest in him. He beat a hasty retreat to a safe distance.
An elephant has been through here recently. How do I know? Elementary my dear Watson, great piles of dung everywhere. Apparently it came in the last couple of days. It has trashed some of the fencing.
Time for a bit of tea. I think they believe I have my family with me, there are 5 dishes, 2 bowls of rice and some chipatis. No way I can eat this lot. I've lost a couple of kilos, but that wont last if I stay here much longer. Just been told they take creditcard, so if mine works, I'll have another day here.
Of for a read on the verandah. I was hoping the lights would be put out, so I could check out the stars, but no way. There are still plenty twinkling up there.

No comments: