Tuesday 19 February 2008

Valentines day and not a card in sight.

14/2 - Breakfast and into the jeep for Masinagudi and the bus to Ooty. Guess what? OK I'll tell you. In the jeep on the way there were 5 elephants grazing by the side of the road. Wasted my time sitting in that tower. Jesting, I loved it. 2 lads on a motorbike flagged Ravi over. He told me they were frightened to go past the elephants on the bike, so could they tail the jeep. Apparently the bikes are a target for the elephants. The lads sped away, quick time, as soon as we were passed. Ravi also told me the people I saw coming out of the woods last night were a local tribe, living near the resort.
Into Masinagudi, which is only a village lining the road through. It does not seem too interesting, but is busy, as are most Indian places. Ravi dropped me off in the plaza and so into Indian mode to sit around and wait for the bus. Travelling in India requires a relaxed, patient manner.
I got offered a share of a taxi to Ooty for Rs300. Being tight, I refused.
The bus turns up and the crush is on. I waited at the back and clambered on. No chance of a seat. It was good exercise the trip upto Ooty I was clinging on trying not to put my head through the roof.
It is a beautiful day in Ooty, sunny and cool. Got my 2 reserved tickets for Mettapulaiam and Chennai, I'm on a roll, all I have to do now is make the connection. There's no left luggage here and there's now way I am hacking into town with my gear, so had a brew from the station cafe. I gave the food a miss when a mouse came up to serve me.
It is a strange station, Ooty. It has waiting rooms, containing toilets, which are locked, no left luggage, a run down cafe and I bet the bookstall doesn't open. Due to the locked waiting rooms, I did the local thing and wandered down the tracks for a pee after chaining my rucksack to a bench. I had a spit too, you'll be pleased to hear. I said SPIT. Another local custom.
I thought about not coming back to Ooty for the train ride, which is much lauded, but I am glad I did. The scenery on the way down is fantastic. There must be better train rides and they must be out of this world. This one is special. Even the old locomotive and carriages are special. I thought the scenery would stop at each station, but it just kept coming and coming.
Ooty is a bit of a hill holiday resort, so the atmosphere on the way down was party like. Everytime we entered a tunnel the whooping and hollering began. When we reached Mettapulaiam, all the way in from the outskirts there were people alongside the track with kids waving and smiling. A lot of them from shanty areas next to the track. A bloke on the train who live here told me there are people there everyday to greet the daily train. They made the journey even happier.
I have been in the hills about a week now. I had forgotten how hot it gets down here. I am going into meltdown and Chennai is supposed to be even hotter. I'll let you know tomorrow.
I got nattering to some lads on the way down and they are from Chennai. They kept an eye on me and helped me out with my luggage and when I was chilled about getting on the train, one came over to make sure I knew this was it.
So off I go to Chennai. I got a bottom bunk and one of the longer ones. Someone is looking after me. I thought it was going to be a restless night as I was in with a family with a young baby, she was good fun and not surprisingly, slept like a babe.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello gorgeousness.. and a happy Valentine's Day to you!

I'll not sign this Valentine's message because you're supposed to guess who sent it...?

Mick said...

http://mickdb.blogspot.com/
Ha! I see your "round-the-world-trip" and raise it by a "Living in Dorset" amount!
I refuse to surrender until you return from your "supposed" trip round the world (that last post had pictures of Chorley market, surely?).
Faker!!

mand said...

hello you cynical grumpy old man! good job you where in the tower watching the monkeys they might have mistaken you for one of the family! ha ha, only joking we all know your gorgeous. so you got to see some elephants i bet it wasn't like in knowsley. the tower sounds like a great place to kick back and relax a bit like the tower in risley moss NOT. so is it back to being a beach bum, cant be bad. if it makes you feel guilty i am doing a full days work tomorrow no chilling in warrington so do a bit of relaxing for me please. speak to you soon love mandy.xx

Flo said...

Watcha Cock, Banty here this time. Flo suggested I write as I have been scratching around looking for things to do.
The girls were very sorry that your hareem had not seen fit to move heaven and earth to get a card to you in the middle of nowhere - doh, men? With so many girls in the office, we would like to tell you that since Valentine's Day it has been like the Eden Project here and we have to move boxes of chocolates to get to the keyboard, but of course this would be an untruth - again, doh men?
We have come unscathed through the cold patch here, it even snowed in Brum, although we only got thick frost here on the hills. We need our regular sunshine updates from you to keep us going through the winter - keep up the good work.
Take care and greetings from us all - F, B, B, Z, T and DB.