Tuesday 27 May 2008

Cool in Dalat.

10/5 - It is nice not to sweat for a change, although when the sun comes out it is warm. I had some pho bo for breakfast, like a beef, noodle broth, with herbs. I may have told you that before, so 2 for the price of one. If you told me a few weeks ago that I'd be eating noodles for breakfast, I probably would have believed you, as I've stopped surprising myself over what I eat nowadays. The meals come with fresh herbs regularly. I think the one I like the best is basil, but who knows. You just rip off the leaves and lob them in and have a quick stir. Yum yum.
Fueled up, I thought I would burn a few calories and set off up the road. I got pulled over by an Easy Rider, Khien. They are famous within Dalat and take people on their motorbikes for city or area tours. I had read a bit about them, so fancied a trip out, but being me, I took his card for a think. A bit more traipsing around and an efix then I decided to give Khien a ring and book for tomorrow. I asked him where I could hire an automatic moto. "Meet me outside in 10 minutes."
And there it was. I wanted a auto Honda 90, like my Dad used to have. I got a souped up Yamaha scooter, well, it seemed souped up to me, except going down hill, when it cut out if the throttle was shut. A bit, no not true, a lot hesitantly I set off and pulled over about 200 metres down the road, but only for petrol. Back on my new wheels and off down the road, which turned into a dirt track, OH OH, which turned into a narrow bridge, double OH OH, but no problem and no dead pedestrians. I was starting to get a bit cocky now, so headed out of town to look for some rough verges to practice on. When the buses, lorries and cars come passed, they don't expect to have to slow down or move over, the moto is expected to pull off the road and keep going. I never made the verges though, the heavens opened. I had planned ahead and brought the cape Dung gave me, but ripped it trying to put it on, so I did the local thing and found a building with shelter and pulled over. A bit late, but now the road was awash. The rain backed off, so I headed for the hotel, to pick up the heavy duty cape I have been toating around for 4 months. It was almost binned a few times, but now I am glad it wasn't. I got conned though, before I got back to the hotel, the rain lashed again and now I am completely drenched. Not to be detered, or to be a bit stupid, I got changed donned the cape and was cruising again. Dalat is a cool place. I took in the cathederal, the lake, the golf course, the lake again. I don' t know how that happened. I was going to avoid the central market area, but thought I'd skirt it. Wrong, I took a wrong turning and ended up amongst the stalls. There are some people very lucky to be alive still. The market is for fruit, fish, flowers and veg and very busy at this time of the evening. I manouvered my way out and kept on following my nose. I was getting a bit cold now with the rain and high wind as I hurtled along, so I pulled over for a whiskey, but had a tea. I left the bike outside the cafe, but only just. When I'd thawed out, my time with the bike was almost up, so I set off back, the wrong way around a roundabout, I later found out. It looked like a load of shops to me, not a roundabout. It doesn't really matter over here anyway. I have enjoyed it on the scooter, this could become a feature. I dropped it off and had some nosh and an early night.

3 comments:

mand said...

yo bro,
the scooter sounds brill, you sound a bit dangerous on it, but it sounds fun. i know i keep saying it but i relly like the sound of the s.e asian people, they sound very nice, happy and friendly. i have just finished work and my exciting evening is going to be watching britains got talent and the apprentice, whopee!! the only good thing about the night is i called and got a bottle of red wine on the way home and some olives. i know your thinking 'wahoo go spoil yourself'. i told dave you were in saigon and he had a very rude reply about a lady from saigon and if you think musical you will probably figure out what he said! but if your thick like our val you wont get it!! anyway i am going to pop the cork and eat some more olives i ate a load in the car. take care and i will speak to you soon, love you.xx

Val said...

i don't know why everyone thinks I'm thick, I'm beginning to think I must be!
Just got back from Mexico so I've got a bit of catching up to do on the blogging but thought I'd write first cos I know you'll have been fretting cos you haven't heard from me in so long. Hope it's all going OK and you're still in one piece. I'll write with words of advice and caution when I've read all your news. If I come across any comments like "don't tell our Val" I'll be in touch sooner.
Take care and try not to fall of any morebikes(our Sue told me that bit).
Love ya
Val

mand said...

dear val,
we think you are thick cos you are!! but we all love you despite your down fall! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx