Monday 26 May 2008

Good morning Ho Chi Minh City.

7/5 - Up and at 'em. I thought I'd do a few sights today, but used my h ead and got a cyclo to the first one. If I am honest he badgered me into it, but it is a good way to see the city. I got a sweat on sat in the front, this bloke must have been soaked, mind you he wont miss a few pounds. You get badgered a bit by cyclos, motos, taxis and the ganja, sex, opium etc are like water off a ducks back now.
I checked out the bookshops. Why? I don't know, it surprised me too. Next up the Peoples Community building, parliament stuff, I think. I didn't go in, I sat in the park outside, so I am not sure. Then the Opera house, pretty cool. An outside exhibition of photos of Vietnamese life, then another bookshop. I must be delerious. Next, Notre Dame. I am delerious, this isn't Paris. No I am not, it is the French influence. There is a wedding going on too, so I didn't go inside. After 4 months, the sight-seeing urge is fading a bit, but I did go inside the Post Office over the road from Notre Dame and very nice too. I even posted a few postcards, but don't sweat, none to you lot. That'll teach you to read the blog. I read in the comments today, that our Mick is taking credit for it, which means I can take credit for his doctorship, so you know what a load of crap that is.
Wandered to another park, there are loads in HCMC. It is a very open city on the whole. I have heard good and bad about it. I like the place, so far. I heard it is full of motorbikes, but it can't be that full, I haven't been hit yet. It is less hectic than I imagined and nice to walk around, although I am only scratching the surface. Back in the park, a lad offered to shine the soles of my sandals, but I declined and we laughed and we laughed again as I wandered off and saw him shining someones shoes. I kept to the park scene and the shade as much as possible on the way to the Presidents Palace, not too impressive, to be honest. I took a left here, hoping to find Ben Thanh market and shock horror, I did. I like to look around the markets, a lot more than the temples at the moment. If the blog stops here, I have been struck down by Buddah, God, Allah or one of those lads. If it stops later, it was a fatwah. Into the market for a look, but I get the biggest looks I think, my natural beauty again. There is all sorts in here. If you want a T-shirt, jeans, shorts you don't have to look, they get thrust at you, again in the best possible taste with plenty of smiles and patter. I even got offered a helping hand from a young lass to get over the step on the way out. Now I feel like a dodering old fool, instead of the strapping ardonis I was when I came in, so I went back to the entrance and was reborn. I bounded down the road and collapsed behind a tree in another park. Actually I sat on a wall near a quiet spot entering the park. Not quiet for long though. A Phillipino bloke came over to chat. His sister is a nurse here and is going to England soon to be a nurse. He asked if we could meet, so I could give her some local advice. It didn't sound too kosha to me, so I dumped this one, like a hot potato. The LP can get you a bit paranoid. I have been hanging onto my bag for grim death, here in HCMC and my camera is clipped to my belt. I usually carry a debit card, in case I need some dosh, but it is back at the hotel. Anyway NEXT.....
A young lad came over into my quiet spot. He'd been hovering for a while. He gave me some cock and bull story about being on a project, stuttered and stammered a while, then went back to his mate. I had a vice grip on my bag. They both came back over to take a photo. He stood next to me and I watched his hand move to my pocket. At this point the interview was terminated with a few short sharp words, thanks to the LP paranoia. This area around the market is notorious. The landlady also warned me about it. I never twigged until I was back in the hotel, that I could have been in a dust up. They would have been dust and I would have been up in front of the judge. It's a good job Eddie, an old army mate, isn't here with me, we would both have been shot at dawn. A bit more park wandering and back to the digs. It's been partly cloudy today, but I am still dripping. Even the locals sweat when the sun is out. I had a shower, but not before I tell you about the other park adventure. I almost forgot, how could I?
An old dear tried to sell me some sweets, but I declined, so then she offered me her daughter, 22, good boom-boom, good English, good everything. That must be one hell of a mother daughter relationship, or one hell of a mugging, LP parnoia?? No !! the lady was right, she was good boom-boom. Only joking Valerie, pick yourself up. Showered and out. All the places I fancied eating were full, so I returned to last nights haunt, even the same seat. What a boring old fart........................... our Mick is.
I don't think there is anything more to report for tonight, but life is so full in the city, I may have missed something. Anyway, see what tomorrow brings. I think the last boring day I had was before I left home. I could be wrong, there may have been one in Thailand. How can I ever go back to work after this???? EASY, lack of money!!!
Goodnight Johnboy.

No comments: