Sunday 25 May 2008

Lazy days.

5/5 - Not such an early start today, as it is lashing down, so I did a bit of packing and retired to the hammock to repair my pyjamas, they are actually a pair of our Gil's old football shorts, but great pyjamas. There's a lass over the way swinging too and having a read, she spends almost as much time as me in the hammock, they are really great. The sun's out and the girls are on the move, so I suppose I should follow.
I booked a ticket for the ferry back to Rach Gia for tomorrow. There are not plane tickets available for HCMC, another plan crashed and burned. I had better move on from here, Phu Quoc, it is too chilling, I could end up here for months. I may get back with Dung anyway, we've kept in touch by SMS and it sounds like a plan,................ so that wont happen.
I think I'll head for HCMC tomorrow, I need to change some flight dates and I think I'll extend my visa for Vietnam. I've slowed down my running around, not that I have run for many years now. I don't think I am going to get to north Vietnam at the current pace, another trip perhaps.
I jumped on a moto into town, they are typical tourist prices, 1 and a half quid and it is only 50 miles away, rip off. Duong Dong is bigger than I thought, there are loads of fishing boats and a neat market. A neat little bridge over the river too, only one plank missing. I stopped for a coffee and a bit of a watch. The non la hats are very popular with all ages. I'd buy one if I could pack it. The airport is right on the edge of town, very handy, except I don't have a ticket. There is a new international airport opening in 2010, so now is the time to come to Phu Quoc.
Wandering back down the hill, I picked up a baguette, I got the tourist price again. I strolled through the market and the rain started again, so I ducked into the indoor market. It is nearly all plastic plates, bowls etc for the kitchen with a smattering of clothes and jewellry stalls. It is all very narrow, built for the Asian physique, not a strapping, bronzed ardonis like me, it is a good market though. Back over the bridge and a miander. I went into a Hot Toc, I thought it was some kind of food to begin with, but then figured it is a barbers. You'd understand if you'd seen all the roadside signs in Vietnam. I was a bit reluctant to go in, they were playing cards and I didn't want to disturb them. The barber used manual clippers, it must be over 45 years since I have had my hair cut with them. He did a good job, mind you, it isn't a big job to cut my hair.
I found a bench by the road and ate my baguette, very tasty and finished my pineapple from yesterday. They are always peeled and cut in a pattern (now you know Carol). I wondered why and yesterday I watched the lady peel it, the pattern comes from the way they are peeled. I'll show you when I get home. I'll have to buy a honed machette first though, like the one the lady used. You don't mess with these fruit sellers. THE PRICE IS THE PRICE.
This is a neat little town, there are food stalls and a night market setting up along the roadside as evening draws in. I was going to go on the internet, but the shop is shut, so I sat on the step to check the map for another place and was joined by 5 ragamuffin kids. They wanted money, as have a few, but got biscuits. Only 2 of them would let me take their picture and the eldest wouldn't even take a biscuit. They are a right mix of characters and after a bit of fun, all left saying goodbye, except the eldest. A bunch of schoolkids, that I had met yesterday came passed and stopped for a quick hello. The ragamuffin kids were collecting recyclable refuse. I wonder if they get the option to go to school. It has to be paid for on the whole. Some minority tribe kids get free schooling, but not many.
I gave the internet a miss and setoff back, cutting through another hotel. The sea is wild again. Today I couldn't resist, so I stripped, dumped the gear and hit the surf. It was bloody hectic. I ended up 50 metres down the beach with the current in no time at all, so I swam back and ended up 50 metres down again. Sod this for a game of marbles, I body-surfed, in my own way, to the edge and took and age to get stood up and out. It was good fun. I'd no towel, so stood in the sun to dry and it disappeared behind the clouds. I was next to the internet beach place, so nipped in. No power for another 45 minutes or so, which probably explains the manual clippers and the internet shop being shut. I have been wandering around all day not knowing the power was off.
I had an iced coffee, I'm becoming addicted, they are really nice. A lass came across and told me the power was back and stayed for a long chat, giving me the 3rd degree, in a nice way. The staff here are smashing. Sea Star resort, in case you come over, $50 dollars a night though for a bungalow on the beach. Before I had a beer, I thought I should get nearer home, as it is dark and the sea is wild. I stopped for the beer and snap at the same shack as last night, the wind is blasting through tonight. They use authentic, chinese patterned, plastic plates here. I was just going to grab the last shrimp and noodles with my chopsticks and the plate took off in the wind. The dog enjoyed them, sand and all.
The stars are out tonight, between the clouds. This is a beautiful, relaxing place. Tonight I got back to base without any stings or problems, finished packing, a quick read whilst swinging and bed.
HCMC tomorrow.

No comments: