Saturday 3 May 2008

Off to Phnom Phen to sort my Vietnam visa.

19/4 - Off to Phnom Phen to sort out my Vietnamese visa, well, nearly off. The bus was due at 7.30, came at 8.45 and went straight passed the guest house. Chanta, the cook, had taken the communal moto to the market, so I couldn't be nipped into town to catch the bus up. The bus ticket man, when phoned, said I was booked on the afternoon bus, which I think is Cambodian for Whoops. I played a bit of pool, read a bit and did a bit of typing, a relaxed morning and then the bus came and stopped and only an hour late.
The bus did the services stop at Angh Tusawn village, no baked spiders here. The kids selling the goods are always a good laugh, they have a great sense of humour and laugh at owt. You can't help but like them.
I got to Phnom Phen too late to sort out a visa today. I got hijacked by a tuk-tuk driver, who tried to take me to a hotel of his choice and also to a visa shop that was still open. The visa was only $40, 10 over the odds. We eventually got off to Boeng Kak lake, my choice, but it was easier said than done to find a hotel, this place is all knooks and crannies, but the touts always find you. I ended up in a room at Adam's place, not the one I wanted, but I couldn't find that one. The tuk tuk man said it was closed, but I found it a couple of days on. It may sound strange, but the room I have at Adam's, I would expect more for $5 a night. It is good enough though and the bar and restaurant area has a telly with the football on. Sunderland v Newcastle tomorrow.
This lake area is heaving with backpackers. Most of the guesthouses sort out visas and boat tickets, as does this one, so that'll save me some leg work. I had a couple of beers, some grub and watched a couple of games. I got chatting to an Irish lad, who absolutely hates Cambodia and the people. He got triple scammed at Poipet, a border crossing from Thailand and he just wants to leave after 3 days. A taxi driver and his mates did him twice and then a policeman. Poipet is notorious for gangsters and a place to avoid. The lad, Andy, is the 3rd person to tell me horror stories about Poipet. It is definitely a gangster town and needs a Cambodian Elliot Ness. He cheered up a bit later after a few beers and he was befriended by 2 bonny lasses. It would be a shame if he left with his current opinion, because this is a smashing country with great people.

No comments: