Wednesday 2 July 2008

And so to Aus.

5/6 - Got myself a SIM at the airport. It is a smashing airport, simple, easy and all very neat. Everything is obvious. Immigration took a while, but my electronic visa came good and it meant my bag was there and waiting, dizzy on the carousel. I hit the ATM and it told me to sod off. The Grumpy old man told me to keep my head, it is only the computerised bank showing no common sense again and blocking my card. It makes me angry to think they can't be arsed to think for themselves and check before letting the computer do what it wants. Never mind, my credit card came good. I'll sort Barclays out later. Time for the train to town. Into Sydney, out of Central Station and into a cafe. Registered my SIM and phoned our Bec in Canberra. She sounds in good fettle, but she did have a quick bitch about subject not to be told, in case Liam's Mam find her way to my blog. Had a brew and phoned a couple of hostel, to make sure I wasn't hiking around the streets for nothing. Loaded up and walked over the road from the station and there's a hostel. This will do, sack walking, next to the station, 17 quid a night for a dorm bed, it'll do. It was a bit of a REALITY check, back to the burn money world of 2 quid cups of tea. I have been Asia brainwashed. This is going to be expensive. Dumped my gear, loved the hot shower and hit the streets before I had chance to lie down and crash. It's like being back home, cold and wet. I'm going to have to buy a jumper. People wise, Sydney is a lot like London, 50 % non English speaking and mostly foreign looking with local accents. It's probably more th an 50%, but I'm, in Chinatown. I didn't know that until I passed the first 50 Chinese restaurants and 10,000 Chinese looking people, that was in about 400 yds of the hostel. The hostel, Central Hostel, has everything, is clean, but a bit pricey, just for a dorm bed. I could get a good hotel room for that over the past 4 months. STOP WHINGING YOU TIGHT GIT. You are starting to sound like Dickie. I decided to sort out my Vietnamese visa, I'm going back. Why? Work it out yourself. I hopped onto a train and bingo I'm at the consulate. Being by Central Station is a bonus. I went for broke and asked for a 6 month visa. THe lady said "No way." The bloke said " No problem Gil, how's the family? Keano's doing a good job, isn't he?" Ha Ha to the lady, Mackem power rules. He never really said that, I just got a bit carried away, but he is a really helpful bloke. The lady did say that. Headed back to Central and as I am supposed to be gaining weight went to Pizza Hut. I have been looking forward to a good pizza, so why did I go to Pizza Hut. DOH!!
It was 10 quid all you can eat, but it was shi@#$@#@ said that Grumpy bloke again, so I went for a beer to commiserate. My eyes were starting to droop, so I resisted a second beer and headed for bed, via the internet, if you know what I mean. It's been a long but full old day. Sydney is so far so good, but bloody cold.

No comments: