Tuesday 1 July 2008

Working the streets of Bangkok.

2/6 - Still a bit knackered, but breakfast put me right, probably because it was included in the price. Then I hit the streets. It's a tadge hot, so I went into a few malls, but the A/C sets my cold off, what a whimp, so I ducked and dived alnot the way, in and out of malls. This is shoppers heaven, similar to KL, crap for men. I gave up in the end and went for a coffee and a cake. It's a busy city, constant traffic and very modern. THe pavements are in a shocking state, but a lot of them have walkways above them and the Skytrain above those. It's a typical big city, so what am I doing here. Just passing through. I headed back to freshen up, as they say, then headed to Lambini park. THis is a laugh. There are hundreds of people doing aerobics to several different leaders and music. A complete mix of people too. There's a lot of other exercises going on too. It's like an open air gym and a great idea and setting, if the weather permits. I plonked on a bench to watch and was joined by a fella to practice his English. Sound familiar? I got hit for a quid. I couldn't be arsed to go through the multiple refusals, so I paid him off to get shut of him. A monitor lizard came swimming passed, but it's English must have been good enough as it didn't stop. Back towards the Wendy House and some snap. Ordered a spicey dish, the woman warned me, but I'm hard, so hard I had to order a second plate of rice to finish it, then it was beer and bed.
3/6 - Noodles for breakfst then off for a wander. I checked out the cheap markets with the copy designer stuff and then went to yet more shopping centres. I don't know why I rarely buy anything. I can't walk far enough to get out of the shops. My Asianmanbirdflu has got me a bit crocked too, so I'm not at full power. I think I need a week off this holiday lark. I wandered until I was knackered and stopped for an ice coffee and a couple of doughnuts in Dunkin Doughnuts, it's that kind of city, it has all the fast food chains and then the Thai eateries and food stalls. The coffee didn't rejuvinate me, so I wandered a bit more, then jumped on a moto back to the hotel for a kip. The moto driver was on some kind of commission I think, we broke the sound barrier twice and it was only a couple of miles. Refreshed, I hit the town again, well, I walked down the road for chicken ginger and a beer. A South African in there got talking to me. WHat a funny lad and not funny ha ha either. He was after going for a beer, but I ducked out. I think he was South Africas version of me, very opinionated, but not is such a nice way as me. (No comments from the family). I wandered back to the hotel for a beer and an early night, which didn't happen, I sat people watching and time drifted by.
4/6 - Off to Aus today, that should keep Yvonne happy. I've been really looking forward to going to Australia. I'm not flying u ntil this evening, so did some e-stuff, had some lunch then headed for the airport. I took a taxi for the easy life. I checked the meter at 197 Baht, when I got out, but asked the price. 800 Baht!!! He went a bit sheepish when I mentioned the meter. No wonder taxi drivers have a bad name. I'm early, but checked in, just in case there is something wrong with my electronic Aus visa. That's what 4 months backpacking in Asia does for you. All went well and I went through for some more food. I'm under orders to gain weight, which I don't think will be a problem when I get to Aus. More looking at stuff that I'm not going to buy. The airport is typically Bangkok, full of shops. I have not really done Bangkok justice. From what little I have seen, I like the place more than I thought I would. I was told 2 days is enough, by several people, but I think 4 or 5 are needed especially at my pace. THere was plenty I wanted to see, the the manflu put the mockers on it. The flight is delayed an hour, but now I am an expert waiter it is no problem. It's a jumbo, so there are a loads of people around. I am going to try to not watch more than 1 film. I usually end up getting no kip and knackered at the other end. I watched 2 and then nodded off. I was reclined when I woke up, so the Qantas people must have put me back, I never noticed.

No comments: