Saturday 5 July 2008

Lazy day in Sydney.

7/6 - I struggled out of bed this morning. I'm not used to these soft matresses. Had some breakfast at the hostel and decided to do some dhobi, even thought the sun is shining. Some of my clothes got ironed for the first time in months. It made me realise how badly stained my whites are. They look like I've been paint balling in them. I'd better get my hand in my pocket and get some fresh, non-white ones. I'm loath to ditch my "Red and White Stripes" T=shirt, but it is a mess. I might buy some stain remover at the next wash and see if I can revive it.

Out and about, heading in the opposite direction to yesterday. I had a plan until I remembered the Blues/Jazz festival., so change of plan to no specific plan. THe first part of the plan came off, I found Victoria park and sat in the sun to write up the blog, butthe sun is going down now, so I'm off to find the train station and perhaps a beer before the Blues fest. I pulled over after a quick visit aroud a market that looks to be a one off thing. Lots of home made stuff and hippie gear. I never bought any, I'll stick with my paint balling gear. Next pull over was a bar for a beer, then into town by train for the music. How about that for a plan working??? They were dismantling a set when I got to the fest, so I nipped off for some food, then came back. It was closed up, it must have beeen an afternoon affair. How about that for a plan working??? I guess that's it for today. I went back to pack and chill and this plan did work. When I left the hostel this morning, I had the 6 man room to myself. When I got back tonight all the beds were taken, but nobody in them. During the night there were 8 of us. Don't ask me!!! 2 lads tunred up at 5 a.m., went back out for a while, came back, picked up their bags and left. THey never slept in their beds. Perhaps they did someone else's. When they left a lad on the floor got up and climbed on to one of the beds. It made me smile to remember such times, when I was a jack the lad. Jack the lad in the best possible taste of course. "Good young Gil, he's the quiet one." They used to say. IT'S TRUE, ask Eddie. Anyway the day has moved on.

8/6 - I got up early, but the young lads never budged. THe old fella with the ear plugs and blanket over his head wasn't too happy. Loaded up my gear and off to the train, to the ferry, to Manly. The Sydney transport seems really good. Today it's misty and raining, so there's a cloud hovering over the top of the Sydney bridge. The ferry to Manly was not as exciting as I thought it would be, but it was raining. Sydney is hell of a harbour though. It makes Liverpool lok like a Dinky toy. Off the ferry and decided to test the legs and walk to a guesthouse, about 2 thirds of the way there I was thinking again, but I don't know why, it was easy and I wasn't dripping in sweat, like in Asia, only good old cold rain. I've got a room this time for 20 quid. It wont make the AA guide and probably only just the Alcoholic's Anonymous guide, but it is cosy. I took a stroll to the beach and the srufers are like ants on the water, all in wetsuits, it is cold. I'll come back here tomorrow. I'm off to see Manly rugby league team play the top of the table Sydney Roostersf. Catching the bus is hard work. I think you have to lie in the road to make them stop. None of this cram them in, move up, let these people in. It's follow the Nanny state rules on numbers and no more. The 3rd bus stopped. At the ground, it was easy to get a ticket. I was a bit surprised with it being the top of the table clash and only 13 quid, cheaper than the UK, by a long way and for a top match.. The ground is nowhere near gull AND there's only 24 minutes left on the clock when I get in, luckily it was for the U-20's game. I did initially flap a bit. The ground layout is good, 2 sides are stands and 2 hills, where you can park your bum until the match starts, then it is stand or miss it. I was surprised how small the crowd is, 18,000 +. The UK crowds are better by far. Iwas also surprised how crap the top of the table were, but they had 4 players away at the State of Origin games.. I was very surprised at the beer consumed. You couldn't see the ground for cans after the match. It was agood atmosphere, but the game was a bit one sided, 42-0. I mowzied on down the road looking for a bus stop and found a pub instead, those are the breaks folks. They had the match on the screens. From the cheering you'd think all the people hadn't been to the match and it was being shown live. They get into their port. It's all good fun though. Rooster and Eagles fans were mixed in the ground, no segragation necessary. I had a beer and then went to catch the bus. I'd have more chance of catching a great white down this road. It's abysmal. If I ever move to Aus, I'm going to live in Not In Service because most of the buses run there and they are all empty. Eventually my lottery ticket came up and I got a bus. There was a lot of well oiled banter going on. I keptout of it for a change. Off the bus and into a pizza restaurant over the road from the digs. I read a poster saying that anyone serving someone who is drunk is liable to prosecution. WHAT'S THAT ALL ABOUT GRANDAD????
That is serious Nanny State stuff. I am gobsmacked, almost speechless, which is a very big lie.
This is prime Grumpy old man stuff, but I decided to chill and ordered a carafe of wine to laugh into, then thought better of laughing in case they took it off me because I was drunk. "I don't believe it" as that well known grumpy old man said.
The wine was good and I was half cut, at least. I haven't had that much to drink for a while now.
I enjoyed the pizza too, but then with a carafe of wine, there is not much I wouldn't enjoy.
Sometimes I get to feeling sorry for myself. I know I should know better and sometimes I need a reminder of how lucky I am. A lad came in while I was eating, he was mid 20's and had a walking stick. It took hime a good w hile to walk across the restaurant, he didn't look well, but he just put his head down and made his way in his own way. It was a timely reminder for me. I hope I don't forget it too soon. The wine polished off, I headed for the guesthouse. I wasn't sure which of the 2 was the right one, so I took the one that wasn't moving so much. There's a Brit lad who has been staying here 4 months. He's working here at the moment, but has real wonder lust. He was planning a trip to Papua New Guinea, but is having second thoughts after finding it is one of the worst crime spots in the world in the town of Port Moresby. It says on the web not to go out after dark and to stay in your room during the day . That doesn't leave a lot of scope.
I left him to it and hit the sack. A pleasant day in Manly done.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Mr. Drifter,

Can't see any photo's of Sydney on your gallery yet..? I thought you would have taken one or two by now, especially Sydney Harbour Bridge (reminds me of the Tyne Bridge in Newcastle) and Sydney Opera House is supposed to be magnificent! I can imagine it being a great culture shock to what you've been used to over these past months, including the weather and food. Bet your first schooner of guinness tasted nice
though..:o)

Our weather sounds similar to that over there, it's wet, wet, wet, and we are supposed to be in the middle of summer (grrrrr...) I've been doing my usual battles with the OT from Social Services who is ignorant when it comes to MD, so.. what a woman's gotta do a woman's gotta do! It's keeping me on my toes but then that's something else
I'm now able to do.

Manly sounds a good place for "surfin' dude's" but it might not be as good as in India where you had the surf all to yourself..
:0)

How's the "man flu" and knee doing? You'll just have to treat yourself to that jumper and wrap up warm against the cold and damp.
Keep taking the pain killers regularly which should help but NOT too many carafe's otherwise you'll just end up with a headache!


The rugby game was certainly "one sided" with a score 42-0 (ha-ha) at least you didn't suffer from an aching neck going to and fro. And could you imagine if us Brit's
intergrated the fans over here...? All hell would be let loose.. (ha-ha)!!

I went off to the City Hall last week with my friend Janice, to see
Colin Fry (he's an International Medium, in other words he's a 'spook'...) The theatre was packed to the rafters and as it is an ancient building there is no air conditioning so a few people up in the circle were asking if they could open a few doors to let some cool air through.
I wondered that by doing this they
let a few "spooks" out because not a lot of 'messages' came through after that...
The show went well, but I thought the Gala theatre in Durham where I went with Christine was a more modern building, and it had a nice
atmosphere, air conditioning AND a bar/bistro nice place where you could have something to eat and drink. Which reminds me...it's time for me to have dinner. As it's been wet and dismal all day I'm having home made broth (yes, I know it's supposed to be summer...??) with crusty on the outside and soft inside bread rolls
filled with ham (mmm...my tummy is rumbling already)


Carol

Unknown said...

p.s. Just read about the thousands of pilgrims descending on Sydney for the arrival of the Pope this weekend. There is also a massive Roman Catholic World Youth Day festival kicking off on Tuesday attracting more than 200,000 pilgrims. Hope you don't get caught up in the squish....

Carol