Thursday 13 March 2008

And that was India, well nearly.

1/3 - Up and packed and almost thought of relaxing until I remembered I have not left India yet. There is still time for more adventures. Went down to pay the bill and asked about a taxi. It had gone up Rs50 since last night, so it came down again, to a less inflated flight, whoops that should be price. I must be getting twitchy.
The journey to the airport showed some smashing housing in the suburbs, as well as the poor areas. It made Delhi seem more of a capital city. The taxi driver was after a tip all the way to the airport, so I told him how much I had paid the airport and smiled at the thought of them arguing over his share, but they probably had an agreement. He kept on, even when I told him I had no rupees left. You might have a little bit of dollars or a little bit of English money. Continuing to lie through my teeth, I told him I only had travellers cheques and a bar of chocolate, so he asked for the chocolate. I told him to get lost, it is my breakfast. Another lie. I have learned too late.
We made it and he got nowt.
I loaded up a trolley and the steward asked me for my ticket at the first entrance. "E-ticket"
"OK, go ahead".
The security guard wasn't up for it though. No piece of paper, no entry. I told you I had not left India yet. He pointed me to some offices and told me to go and get a ticket. Luckily the steward stopped me on the way back and asked what was wrong. I told him and he looked a bit embarrassed, asked around a few people then disappeared to a completely different building than the guard had indicated to find the Malaysia Airlines office.. He returned and led me off to the building. We got there and the stairs leading to the office, so I loaded up and dragged myself up the handrail to the office and voila a paper ticket.
I came early, just in case. I don't know why, what little faith.
I was still too early, so was not allowed into the baggage hall for another 15 minutes, so went and sat on my rucksack with a coffee and curry puff. Don't go there with the puff. I was joined by a smashing lass from London. She was travelling on her own. I told her she was brave, but there have been a lot of women travelling alone and it turns out she has only been alone in Delhi for 2 days and is off to meet her mate in Nepal. I think India would be a bad first place for a lady to travel alone. Once they have a bit of a handle on how to shoo the blokes, then I think it is OK, but I'll never know until one of you does a blog. We departed and I went to see the friendly security man, who smiled when he saw the paper.
Checked in painlessly and hit security, for a long hour, but acceptable for India, EASILY. I had a bit of fun in the queue, snapping at a potential queue jumper. The rest was painless too.
On the plane and sat next to a beautiful Malaysian lass, who is the National talking champion, but in a nice way.
So that was India. I am very chuffed that I came. I was unsure whether to come or not, but it is a great place. It is warm, historical, beautiful, welcoming and the good far out way the niggles of the touts. I am not sure where the poverty fits in. It is part of India, it is certainly not beautiful, but definitely not ugly. I cannot explain it yet, or probably ever. I would not say I was immune to it, definitely not. I will have to pass on this one for now. I may well be back, but the travels brings you tales of other possibly great if unexpected destinations, Nigeria, Nepal, Ghana, Tanzania, Iran, Israel, Jordan.... The list grows, but the bank balance decreases. Time will tell.
If anyone asked me if they should go to India I would definitely say yes, but it depends on the person and what they are looking for.
Like I said "So that was India", but only a very small part of it. I hope I come back.

And now I am in Malaysia. It is a bit like a home coming, especially since Henk and Jinna are at the airport to meet me, pick me up and take me to there place for a few days. If I had an appartement like theirs, I may be tempted back here for a bit of work.
They are a smashing couple. Henk is Henk, you cannot explain him, he is just a good man, you have to meet him.
Well, a couple of tigers with Henk and a chin wag and bed and a real bed, soft, welcoming and in a lovely room. Will I be able to sleep? YOU BET I WILL.

1 comment:

mand said...

hiya gil,
the taj looked beautiful, the weird looking bloke infront of it was a bit strange though. only joking don't go getting your knickers in a twist! i hope you are enjoying malaysia as much as india, can't wait to here about your escapades here. hopefully you won't run into any shims! when you have time UPDATE THIS BLOG we are all on tenter hooks waiting for the next episode.
love you loads, mand.x