Monday 10 March 2008

Delhi day.




27/1 - I decided to little today. Breakfast in a rooftop restaurant, but no view like in Agra or Varanasi. Did a bit of surfing and went for a wander. Got done by an autorickshaw driver, but only Rs 10. I wanted the Post Office, we went to a travel agents, supposedly for a free map, but for his commission. He was then going to take me to the Post Office, via a shop, so I got out and walked. I could travel for the rest of my life and still not learn. I continued wandering under the watchful concern of rickshaw drivers who assured me it was 2 or 3 kilometres to the Post Office. If it was that far I hate to think how long my willie is. I arrived after tout after tout after tout and got run over. A slight exaggeration. I was crossing the road which was quiet and about 4 lanes wide and one way. A certainty even for me to get over. An autorickshaw came around the bend and continued to aim at me as I crossed, something a lot of them do for some reason, at the last second he swerved away, but the motor bike behind him didn't see me. Somehow I have twisted my knee. The thought that went through my head was "Don't break anything, I want to go diving". Strange life.
I could have swung for the rickshaw driver, they really piss me off. I hobbled to the side of the road with loads of help, including the motorcyclist. I sat for 5 minutes to let everything subside then hobbled off to the Post Office even slower than normal. It cant have been too bad, I walked away from a rickshaw who was trying to rip me off.
I got back to the hotel with lots of strange looks, got some ice and sat and watched 2 films moving it around my knee.
Not the best day I have had in India. Delhi does not strike me as a capital city, but I have not seen a lot as yet. It is noisy, as usual and the touts are the worst so far, but I am becoming tougher, which is handy since I leave in a few days. Never mind, next time I'll be ready.

No comments: