Saturday 15 March 2008

On shanks's in KL.



4/3 - Henk dropped me at the LRT (train/underground) and I'm headed for KL city centre, I hope. I could have gone back into Cyberjaya, but that would have been too much like being back at work. I did consider it though, as I enjoyed myself so much yesterday.
I used to get KLCC (KL city centre) where the Petronas towers are, mixed up with the communications tower when I was here before. Don't ask me how, it was just set in my head that the comms tower was KLCC and guess what, I did it again. I reckoned the city centre was about 2 stops before KLCC, so went to get off there, luckily enough I was too slow getting passed the 3 people in front of me and missed the stop, so only got off one stop too early. Not all failed plans are bad. Except I didn't have a clue where I was when I got off. I could see the Petronas towers across what looked to be a motorway, but no way to get across the motorway. I was in a residential area, which was interesting anyway. I strolled in the way I hoped would get me out and passed a family sat outside having breakfast. I was hobbling a bit, so the lady asked what I'd done and we got talking, then I got an invite to breakfast, but graciously declined. I'll never know why. Oh I just worked it out. I'm an idiot.
I had planned to find an Internet cafe for a while, but there didn't look to be much hope around here. The leg was throbbing a bit, so I sat on a post and hit the water bottle. I didn't say it contained water. Time to move on, so I turned left and bumped into an Internet cafe, so much for no hope. It was a bit manic in there, me and 2 others, but they were on the games. It was like a war zone. Some dodgy house/rap/garage/non-grumpy old man music was competing with the guns and bombs, so I didn't hang about long.
I found the main road and thought I'd flag a taxi down and go to Times Square, the same as New York's, but completely different. I don't have to explain, because the taxi I flagged down refused to take me. Something to do with having to turn around I think. Other than that I haven't a clue.
So back to shanks's. It wasn't too far before I eventually ended up at the Petronas towers. They are pretty hard to miss, although it took me and our Val 2 days to find the Empire State building in New York. How has New York gotten 2 mentions and I'm not even in the same continent?
By the time I got there I had a bit of a dab on, so hit the shopping mall to let the air conditioning cool me off. I knew they had a purpose, these malls.
There's Prada, Gucci, Rolex, Coach, I don't know what I am doing in here. There are no prices on anything. I wonder if you have to barter, or is it because you shouldn't be looking if you have to think about the price. I didn't try bartering. Gucci dresses are not for me and I don't need a watch. Once I'd cooled off, I went out the back where the lake and fountains are for a sit on a step. I am getting good at that. A couple of ladies asked me about my leg. This could be a good pick up ploy. They were from Sabah and part of band working in Thailand. When one of the ladies, Hanni, found out I am divorced she quickly told me she is single too, but I told her I already had a date later. No lie, wait and see. The rest of the band joined us and they tried to get me to go to a performance, it was in the afternoon. It sounded a bit dodgy to me, so I declined using my date to put them off. Yes I have got a date, just wait. No trick either. With a very beautiful lady. My second in 2 days, after lunch with Leila yesterday.
I thought about making a move and broke into a sweat. The heat here wipes me out until I get used to it, but I do love Malaysia. I spotted some benches across the lake, so wandered across found an empty one and had a power nap. I suppose I could have passed for an old dosser if I hadn't been so young. I just woke up when a guard came along and told me to "sit down". I think he meant sit up, but I got the gist.
Sat opposite the towers now and I never get fed up of looking at them. They sparkle in the sunlight. Unfortunately it looks like a thunderstorm is on its way, but they still look terrific. They are KL's trademark, just as Sunderland has the Stadium of Light. Well sort of the same, OK nothing like it. Sitting here, just in passing, I have noticed the Chinese Malaysian ladies are the followers of fashion in KL, mini skirts, high heels, they get dolled up very nicely. If they are doing it for effect, it is working. The Malaysian ladies are in general very petite, although some of the Indian Malaysian ladies are quite tall, though still slim. Just thought I'd mention that.
The storm never materialised, perhaps just as well, I'd of gotten soaked sitting here following fashion. I'm heading for cover, just in case, and a bit of cake and a coffee. Surprised?
I am meeting up with Vilves, a very good, very beautiful lady friend from work. Alas she is engaged to a lucky bloke and I'm about 25 years too late. She is another of the international commentors on this world renowned blog.
We went for some Indian food and had a great evening. I even got a very nice present. Needless to say the thoughtless bloke didn't reciprocate. She is a smashing lass. I'm a lucky man having such good friends out here.
We said our goodbyes after another good day on my travels. I went out front to catch a taxi to Henk's. Guess what? These ones wouldn't take me either. I think the word is out, someone has put the mockers on me and taxis in KL. The first 3 wouldn't go to Taman Tun and the 4th wanted double the fare, so I headed for the train and Henk paid, he'd loaned me his train card.
These Malaysian taxi drivers are the most selective I've come across, so much for customer rights and I don't even look drunk.
I eventually made it back to Henk and Jinna's and was hailed from the balcony. "Get lost you English bum" I think it was. I was spoiled again. Jinna legged it out to get some snacks, mostly for herself I reckon and we had a few drinks. They are a good couple considerate and good fun.
I think Jinna's 2 favourite sayings are "No problem" because she never finds anything too much bother and "Are you a little bit hungry?". Because SHE something to eat.
That is definitely the end of another good day. Shower, pack and bed.
Thailand tomorrow.

1 comment:

Val said...

So the wanderer is still wandering and not locked up, no rescue mission needed and no excuse to use with the "tight Yorkshire man" (you know who I mean Gil).
Are you sure exhaustion hadn't set in and you were dreaming that everyone liked you! Only joking, I have seen fleeting signs of the loveable, but mostly the grumpy old man.
Glad to here your enjoying Malaysia and being reenergised for the diving.
Keep the diary going and if the knee doesn't improve see a doctor oh and by the way whats this line I keep hearing from everyone "Don't tell our Val"?
Love you loads and surprisingly also missing you loads.
Love Val