Saturday 26 April 2008

Another boring day at the office.

17/4 - Up early, but to no avail. Both bikes I tried had punctures, so I gave up and sat doing some typing on Stefaan's laptop listening to the music in the bar. No internet here, but I can cut and paste it later. It is too hot to do much else, but I felt a bit lazy after I was rocking in the hammock a while, so I headed off to the crab market on foot. I thought I was never going to get there. It didn't seem this far yesterday on the bike. Eventually it turned up and I went into the first restaurant that looked out over the sea. Vietnam is visible from here, Pho Quoc island, perhaps I will make it there one day. This is a great spot to sit. I ordered a beer and expected a can, but got a big bottle of Angkor beer and as a storm looks to be moving in, I may as well stay for some food. A couple of Brit lads recommended the peppered crab, so peppered crab it is. The storm never materialised, there was even a smashing sunset for about 10 minutes. Time to head back, so I asked the waiter where I could get a moto to take me back. He walked off and came back on his moto, jack of all trades and a few riels for his pocket, good man.
I got chatting to an Aussie couple back at the bar. They have both quit their jobs and are off travelling for as long as it takes and when they get back they are changing jobs. 20 years as a plumber and an account is enough for them. I have met a good few people who have quit work and set off travelling. This couple were a bit older than the average, good luck to them. Laos has been their favourite place so far. I don' t think I can fit it in this trip, so better head back this way soon, before it is spoiled.

No comments: