Saturday 26 April 2008

Last lazy Kep day.

18/4 - I didn't get my backside out of bed early enough to go to Rabbit island, so bummed a lift of Marcel to his place nearer town and went in for a coffee and carrot cake. He runs it with his Cambodian wife. It's a funny place, untidy and he doesn't push it, but the carrot cake is nice. He has been here 7 years, so something is going right. I took a stroll passed the food stalls to the seafront and walked along the prom wall, daring myself to fall in. The nearest I got was a plodge for a while, then a kip on the wall after a read.
The New Year festivities are dying down, but families are still arriving, usually on 3 or 4 motorbikes. Some plonk themselves on the wall and break out the food and beer. It is nowhere as busy as the last 3 days and some of the stall holders are swinging in their hammocks passing the time of day. THey know how to relax. The main beach area is still fairly busy. Being in a seaside resort, I thought I should try some of the fresh prawns, so I did, with a beer and very nice too. The prawns are easier work than the crab.
I am down to my last $15 and there is no bank or ATM here, so I had a sit on the prom wall, it's free and passed some time. A moto turned up eventually, so I headed back to pack, but ended up in the hammock reading and watching the evening draw in. It turned out not to be a good idea, as it was dark when I decided to pack and the electricity failed. I packed by torchlight. Then had tea by candlelight at the bar and a natter by moonlight. It wasn't that bad after all. There was only me at the bar and the lads wanted to go to the pagoda for some final celebrations, so I went back to the hammock, but the electricity came back on, so they had to stay. Not for long though.

1 comment:

mand said...

Hey i'm back,
Well the trip to cyprus was HOT HOT HOT!! The sun was shining and there was all sorts of bodies around the pool! I spent most of the day under the umbrella in the shade because for a lady who has tropical moments it was DAMN HOT! Its the last time i let tomo choose a holiday when you went out of the hotel there was nothing around. Suffice to say we had a lovely relaxing week by the pool. Told you mine wouldn't be as exciting as yours. I like the sound of the Cambodian people they sound very cheery and caring people especially the old girl that carried your bag upstairs. The women seem to work very hard from morning to night and the American bloke you stayed with sounded like a lazy slob i would put me foot behind him if he was mine! I bet the old bloke you took a photo of beside the river didn't realise he was going to have to fish you out of the Mekong when he got up that morning, something to tell his missis when he gets home. Good to hear your partaking of the odd beer or two i was beginning to think you were going to come back tea-total. Dave and me had a few Keo's in Cyprus, theres a blast from the past! You'll be as fit as a fiddle when you get back all this bike riding. I am going to have to leave it there now our Lewis has woken up and his belly is saying FEED ME, FEED ME NOW!
love ya.xx