Friday 25 April 2008

The sad part of Phnom Phen.

14/4 - Thought I'd see a few sights today starting with the Khmer Rouge torture prison, S21, Tuol Sleng, which was formerly a school. This was not a place to be when Pol Pot was in power, not even as a guard a lot of the time. Now it is a very quiet place. The surroundings don't encourage speech, more tears. People who were brought here didn't leave alive. 7 people were found alive and the guards even killed 14 of the last 21 as they Vietnamese were taking over Phnom Phen. The regime was so paranoid, a lot of the guards ended up as prisoners and so victims. Even people high up in the regime came under suspicion, some ending up here and so murdered. Every victim was photographed on entry and so were some of the attrocities. Children were brought here and mothers with babies and none left alive, or only as far as the killing field outside of Phnom Phen. Everyone should visit here, but you don't leave with a bounce in your step. This place put a very solemn stamp on the day. It is not an outstanding place to look at, just a small school down a back street. The only thing that sets it apart is the tin and barbwire fence around it. I was glad I went to see the place and glad to leave.

I wandered around the streets a bit, looking for somewhere to eat, but that was easier said than done. Eventually I came across a place that said "Snacks", so that was spot on. I went in and it was a full blown, buzzing Chinese restaurant, but I stayed to show off my chopstick skills. I had sweet and sour pork and seafood soup. I am not a big sweet and sour fan, but the food in here was nearly as good as Kheang's.
I was going to head to the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda, but it is too damn hot, so I had a kip and when I woke it was too late to go, so I headed to the promenade again, for some so-so food and wine. It is still fairly quiet here, only a few people after money, but I bet it is a different story after New Year. I went and sat on the prom wall for a bit of people watching and a friendly family came and sat next to me, so I had a bit of fun with the kids, before heading off for another glass of wine. I never made the wine, I spotted a coffee shop, so had some smashing coffee, just like in the Netherlands and a cake, just like everywhere I've been on this trip.
I headed for home and the same moto driver spotted me, but he offered no ganja or sex tonight.
I stepped off at the guesthouse and put my leg on the exhaust. Plonker!! That will ruin the tan. I don't really have one, only below the knees and elbows.

No comments: