Sunday 16 March 2008

Off to another land. Thailand.




5/3 - Up and sorted with yet another breakfast laid on. I could get used to this, but I doubt Henk and Jinna could. Said goodbye to Jinna and went into the office with Henk, to pick up a taxi there. Said goodbye to Henk and thank you, I hope I did. I am not good at goodbyes. Henk and Jinna have been brilliant to me and I hope the chance comes for me to repay their hospitality in the UK. Time will tell.
Off to the airport, a little bit stung on the fare I reckon, but not a lot. Checked in and paid out. The baggage limit is 15Kg on Air Asia. I had 17.8 and am 7 quid lighter for it. I know, I should check these things. I wont need to when I get my buxom, blonde, FEMALE secretary. Malaysia is working out more expensive than India. I had better start checking the budget, there was no need before.
The journey was uneventful, I think, I kipped most of the way. Air Asia is still relatively new, so the planes are in good shape and comfortable, they seem cheaper than EasyJet too. I was sat in my own 3 seats, this not washing is paying off, if I had just had the one the legroom would have been a squeeze. They are sized for Malay people I reckon.
From the air Thailand looks similar to Malaysia, but on the ground it is not. Everything seems to be more modern, even the villages look modern. In Malaysia, once out of the towns, the villages can be nice and rural and old fashioned. The cars here are all very varied and loads of pickups, posh ones. The cars in Malaysia are predominantly Protons. Why am I comparing Malaysia to Thailand??? I don't have a clue. Do you?
I was impressed with Krabi airport. On the way out the tout for the cheap shuttle bus got me before the taxi touts. Nice one.
There are lots of temples and shrines on the way to Ao Nang, all very colourful too and you know what? I don't have one photo to upload. I think I must have been too relaxed on this break.
The shuttle bus dropped me in the middle of the seafront at Ao Nang, at least it looks like the middle to me, so I have a 50-50 choice. I bet you can't guess if I got it right. Well, I didn't. I set off to the left, loaded up in the sweltering heat and after 3 or 4 resort type places, had the common sense, I don't know where it came from, to ask someone where the cheap hotels are. I hobbled back the other way. I was about to combust before I got to any cheap looking ones, so went into an expensive looking one. 40 quid a night, I think the sun has gotten to me and I booked it for 3 nights. It was probably for the best after being spoiled at Henk and Jinna's, but it's a bit too posh. I trashed my room, emptying my backpack. Hit the shower and went for a walk, but not too far, the leg is giving a bit of jip. It must have been carrying the backpack.
This is a real tourist spot, like the Costa Brava, not that I've been there, pizza places, Irish pubs, the works. I picked my snap house, the most authentic looking place and ordered a Thai curry and a local beer. I don't know how authentic the curry was, but I broke out into an authentic sweat eating it. I came here because I thought it would not be very tourist driven and to dive. If my leg doesn't pick up, I could be wrong on both counts.
Time to head back for a brew and bed. One good thing about being posh, there's a kettle in the room, but it is not that posh, no teabags, only coffee.

No comments: