Sunday 16 March 2008

Don't panic, I went to the Doc's.







7/3 - A hearty breakfast again and getting so much grief from the knee you'd think we were married, so I decided I'd better go to the Doc's or more grief will come my way from the sisters of no mercy. I jumped in a local toot-toot, completely different to the Indian ones. These are like a carriage-sidecar. Good news from the Doc, my knees knackered. I hope you have had a good "told you so" Valerie. I'm joking, it will only need a minor operation, to get the money out of my pocket to pay for the visit.


It is not good, but if I box clever, I'll be able to go diving. He was a good bloke, Chinese/Thai, at a guess. We had a good natter about football. He's a Liverpool fan, a disgruntled one, but knowledgable. The S.E. Asians are well into the Premier League and well up to date on what is going on too. He gave me some pills and told me I could have a cortizone injection if they don't work, for free, but he never defined for free. The injection lasts a week, so that would get me through the diving in Sipadan, if I time it right. Have I mentioned Sipadan? Later. I think the Doc may have put the elastic bandage on too tight. The blue toes are the giveaway. Anyway that is enough Emergency Ward 10, or more up to date Holby City, back to the interesting stuff. I put a dhobi load in. It will be done for tomorrow evening, which means I wont have to carry it when I move hotels tomorrow. See, I'm not as daft as you lot think.


I booked a cheaper place down the road a bit. Bargaining here is different. The lad offered it at 800 Baht, 12 quid. I said I was going to check a few out. 750 B.


"I'll let you know later".


"How many people?".


"Just me".


"OK, special price 650 B."


"Done". Well one of us was, but I don't know which one and I don't care, I'm happy. I guess the art of bargaining is not to.


Time for an e-fix. These pills seem to be doing the trick, the knee feels great. I think I'll give the e-fix a miss and go for a jog. Yeah, yeah!!!


E-fix done, I went and sat on the beach. After 2 days here, I'm starting to settle down. This is a relaxed resort, a bit like the way Goa relaxes you, but Goa still has the olde worlde feel to it. The rain has started, its lovely and warm. Now its lovely and bloody heavy and warm. That must be why I am on the beach alone. Off back for a shower and back out for sunset, is the order of the day.


Back on a bench by the beach. I feel a few days beach-bum practice coming on and this could be a good location to practice.


The last 2 nights I've been to the same Thai restaurant and had 2 good Thai meals. There's a waiter person in there who could be a lad or a lass. You think at 54 I'd be able to tell by now. I think I twigged it in the end. He's a she, with hair slides, jewellery. Anyway, tonight I went to different restaurant and had a kick ass Thai Phad, with fried veg, chicken, cashews and chillis and guess what??? There's 2 lads come lasses. One of them is stunning. I was told not to come back with a Thai bride. I wouldn't dare try, I'd cock it up completely.


I've spent the rest of the night looking for adam's apples and big feet. The stunner could have water skied on hers. I never got chatted up either in these restaurants. I must be losing my touch.


Went for a walk along the prom. It is solid restaurants, silk shops, tailors, fake goods and a bloody Burger King. 100% tourist, but nevertheless relaxed. Most of the bars are set back a street. There are all ages here too. It's quite a cosy place. The beach is split half and half between swimmers and watercraft. The watercraft are mostly longtails, shaped a bit like a Viking boat, but a lot smaller and no hulking Norsemen giving it rice on the oars. They have a long pole/driveshaft that stick out the back, about half as long as the boat, with a propellor on it, a bit like a food mixer. The engines kick out some crap, but they shift along. The Longtails give the place an old fashioned look, along with the Thai style toot-toots.


Off to bed feeling pretty good and no liquid muscle relaxants.

No comments: