Saturday 22 March 2008

Where to now?

16/3 - I forgot to mention yesterday that I booked my flight to Hanoi for after Sipadan. Have I mentioned Sipadan? One of the top dive sites in the world. It's a deserted island, apart from an Army base, there to protect it. The visitors/divers are limited by daily permits. Just thought I'd mention it. I suppose "rub it in" may be a better phrase. Don't worry I get my comeupance and we are staying on a converted gas rig, so not posh and last time I saw it the colour was pink, but then we'll be diving, so wont worry too much.
Anyway, I digress , or would if I knew what it meant. I was up early, so handed in my key and sat it the shade on the step. I've been cleaning a few steps with my shorts and jeans. Whilst I sat there, the internet shop ladies, they all know me in there now, finally built up the courage to ask why I walked funny. It was not easy to explain, as I don't speak Thai and their English is only as good as mine. They seemed to get the drift, or they gave up. I ordered my taxi from the internet shop, they dabble in all sorts, they do laundry here too, book trips etc.
The taxi turned up bob on time and it's the bloke who owns the internet shop. He's not daft, I wondered how he managed to do the airport run for 500 baht when everyone else charges 600. Now I know, he is the airport run. He turned up in a nice double cab pickup with leather seats. I commented on it. "This is my wifes. My Avensis is in the garage today." I would say this bloke is a businessman and will never aspire to a beach bum. He still gave me the sob story of being broke. "I'll never be able to travel like you for at least another 10 years." He'll be going 5 star though.
He took us along some back roads through small, quiet villages, all very neat and peaceful. He pointed out the palm oil plantations and the lumber ones too. It is all countryside around here, very green and lush with a smashing feel to it.
We made the airport after a very relaxing spin. After being charged 7 quid for excess weight of 3Kg on the way here, I've packed all my heavy stuff in my carry on and my rucksack is spot on 15Kg. Who's a clever lad then?
The airport is very relaxed and a bit laxidazical, which showed when the customs people come and dragged a load of us out of domestic departures and into international. There are no signs to differentiate, so it was a case of follow the sheep in front. I decided to get some breakfast once through customs, but blew that one. There was one watercooler and that was it, but I wont waste away. I heard my flight called and was stood in a queue when one of the ladies runs out and shouts "Air Asia, Air Asia, KL, KL." Most things in Asia are said twice. Glancing at the tickets in the queue in front of me, they are Thompson holidays.
"I bet that nice lady means me!!" I wasn't the only one.
I don't know if any food as served on the plane. If it was , I was asleep before, during and after. I recall waking and seeing a trolley.
I wasn't looking forward to bartering for my taxi and as luck would have it, since I was last here, a prepaid taxi stall has been installed. Chuffed to bits. The taxi driver was a nice bloke. Something strange is whenever I get a taxi from the airport, they invariably stop for gas, as they are all natural gas driven. They must sit on empty at the airport. There is no rush. After a couple of radio calls we turn up right at the hotel door. The receptionist saw me wiggling towards and through the door, then sheepishly told me the lift is out and I'm on the 3rd floor and the banister is on the wrong side. It was no problem with my trusty stick. In case you are wondering, you don't get bellhops at these prices. The hotel is only about halfway from Sunway Pyramid huge shopping centre and it is only half a mile away, complete with pyramid and sphinx, so I took a wander over. There was a footbridge to get there, with steep steps, a bit of a pain, but a good job with my track record in traffic. There's hundreds of shops and an Ice Rink. I bet not even the pharoh had an ice rink.
You wont believe this. I am sauntering through a very busy shopping Mall on the outskirts of KL and a little Malay bloke comes over and asks if he can have his photo with me. This is turning into Twilight Zone stuff. Why?? Is it the astonishing good looks??? "Na, me neither". Is it the speed I walk makes me look cool? People not knowing I am going at full pelt. There must be a reason why people want their photo with me. Answers on a postcard to our Mick. He gets lonely.
The knee is starting to ache, so I plumped for a pot of Darjeeling and some authentic Malay ham and potato bake, then back over the road bridge. There's no way I am trying to vault the 4 foot wall in the middle of the dual carriageway, busy dual carriageway.
I called into the internet cafe over the bridge. From the screens in there, I would say that gaming is the rage in KL. Everyone seems to be on some sort of Doom screen and shouting at each other. I've only ever seen this in KL.
I did a bit of blog catch up and booked a hostel in Hanoi $22 for 3 nights, pretty good. I am getting too efficient, so I am off to bed before it sticks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Gil,

Well, I'm almost finished editing Sam's write-up, so with a bit of luck I should be able to catch up with you and your blog.

Meanwhile, there's a tasty little morsel in the shape of a ham n' pease pudding stottie eyeing me up 'cheekily' from the kitchen. Perhaps I should fool it by breaking into the Gay Gordons..


Carol x

Val said...

Sue told me about Micks blog and so after much searching I finally found it, only to discover I haven't got a bloody clue what he's on about! Still hey it gives me something to ponder and expands my imagination as I try to figure it all out, although vodka also seems to have the same effect. Keep wiggling and keep writing.
Love Val

Val said...

Oh my god, have had to add another comment as I have just read Carols.

Ham and pease pudding stottie, where does she live? mmmmm.....